OOSH or LDC

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
grtz

OOSH or LDC

Post by grtz » Fri May 11, 2018 6:47 pm

hello everyone,

atlast I finished my Cert 3 and got my certificate. The centre where I did my workplacement were very happy and gave a very good feedback to my lecturer. but right now they don't have any vacancy. But the director said, she will consider me for any opportunity which may arise in future.

in the mean time I started working for an agency as a casual. They are giving me only OOSH opportunities. I am going to different schools each day and doing 2 hours shift. I enrolled with another big agency which provide only OOSH care and completed all the interview process, waiting for reference check to be done , which I am pretty sure, I will get it.

but my question is, how far working in OOSH will help me in my long term career ? will this count towards my experience if i apply for LDC centres? .

i am going to enrol for Diploma soon. i just need to complete part 2 and part 3 to get diploma as i completed my Cert 3 only this year.

i am totally confused. Please give me your valuable inputs.

thanks

Lorina

Re: OOSH or LDC

Post by Lorina » Thu May 17, 2018 1:03 am

The thing with OOSH that you have to work split shifts - morning for a couple of hours and afternoon for a few hours... it's more like permanent part-time. Like in LDC, with OOSH you can also be an Assistant Management and Director as well. For some OOSH Services, they also operate Vacation Care during the holidays - where you will get more shifts and work mainly for the whole day.

It really depends what you want to do, if you like working with the older children then OOSH is for you, however, if you prefer the little kids then LDC is favourable. It really depends on what you prefer to do... both have positives and it depends on your preferences!

:geek:,
Lorina