Casual position in childcare.

Questions on working as a casual. Such as job responsibilities, what to do, finding casual work etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
spd
Participator
Participator

Casual position in childcare.

Post by spd » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:02 pm

Hi all,

Needed information about casual position in childcare.. currently I'm doing my certificate III in early childhood and care, I recently came across one of my friends auntie who runs a child care center.. she asked me if I would be interested for a casual role?
But my querie is, since I started my course a month back, I'm still doing my unit 2.
So will I be eligible for a casual role? If yes, then what would be the basic pay for a casual role? And also is it ok to do a placement while on a casual role??
Can somebody please suggest me??

Thanks,
Steffy

Lorina

Re: Casual position in childcare.

Post by Lorina » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:31 pm

Hi Steffy,

Yes you are able to work in a centre, even though you have only just started your cert 3 qualification. You are actively working towards your qualification... Here is some information from ACECQA:

You are considered actively working towards an approved certificate III level qualification if you can provide documentary evidence from the course provider to your approved provider that you are:

enrolled in the course and have started study
making satisfactory progress towards completing the course
meeting the requirements to maintain enrolment.

In regards to placement it depends on the owner / director since you will be paid to work, placement is a separate issue as you need to do tasks/assignments etc. Some centres may ask you to use an alternative time to complete this while others are happy for you to do it while working... so yu will need to discuss it with the centre.

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:38 pm

In regards to casual rate of pay, you will be on Level 3A.1 which is around $26.20 per hour.

Here is some more information:

Childcare Wages Australia

Lorina

spd
Participator
Participator

Post by spd » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:31 am

Thanks Lorina.. That was very helpful ☺

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:06 pm

You're welcome!

Best of Luck!

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Lorina

assignment_21

Post by assignment_21 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:46 pm

if you are confident enough then you must go for that.

ruman.akbar

Post by ruman.akbar » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:26 pm

Hi,
My name is Ruman, I am new to this forum and new to Sydney, Australia. I am basically a software Engineer with Bachelor in Education from VTU who successfully worked and migrated to Australia as a Network Engineer.
I am 28 yrs old and while my time in India after quitting my IT job, I did part time work in kindergarten and Bachelor in Education from Bangalore University as i became very passionate about teaching. I want to work in a school here in Sydney. After a lot of research and reading all your posts I have realised my Bachelor is unfortunately not recognised here.
So i was wondering to start the Diploma in Childcare or if there is any Diploma to work as kindergarten teacher in a public school or some other course which is not more than 18 months to be able to teach for Year 1 or 2 atleast. As i don't want to be spending another 4 years to do another Bachelors. If yes, then which institute is the best to do a Diploma? and can i work while doing the diploma? Please reply and advice.
Thanks & Regards, Ruman

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:38 pm

Hi Ruma,

Welcome to Sydney and welcome to the industry. In regards to your qualification have you had it formally assessed? I would recommend that you look into assessing your qualification through ACECQA, they are the regulatory body of early childhood education in Australia so they can formally make a decision.

Assessment Of Qualification

In regards to teaching in a primary school you will need a Bachelor Degree. The only way a Diploma will help you is for working in early childhood (0 - 5 years). Using your Diploma you can continue into a teaching degree as a pathway and this will save you an extra year or so off your degree since you had completed the Diploma.

Are you interested in working in early childhood education? Or only primary school?

Lorina