should I ask to sign a contract?As a new Casual Educator

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
greensleeve

should I ask to sign a contract?As a new Casual Educator

Post by greensleeve » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:33 pm

Dear all,

I recently applyed a job as Casual educator. It is like permanent casual since most staff expect the room leaders are casual and most of them work 4-5 days a week just like perms.

After the first two weeks trail, I asked if I can sign the contract, deirctor told me they think I am not good enough for them (just graduate not very experienced) so they could not promise me any stable shifts but only consider me as a reliver, so only if anyone is sick.

I got called lask week to cover 2 days and the third day they called me saying I should be there since I have a shift in the roster. However it is not emailed to me and I do not know I have to work that day.

This week I received the roster through email. I got shifts 3 days a week this week. Now I do not understand what I am now. Should I be asking if I will sign a contract(however I don't want to sound like to picky since they already refused me once and I appreciate this job opportunity since it is valuable for my experience but I do not want to be treated unfairly).

So if anyone could tell me is it normally for casual educator not to have a contracts? What are the benefits and disadvantage for not having a contract?

I do not want to lose the job. So how could I talk to the director about this issue sensitively?

Many thanks!

Lorina

Re: should I ask to sign a contract?As a new Casual Educator

Post by Lorina » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:04 pm

As a casual covering shifts you don't need a contract... you are not guaranteed work and you are only called in when necessary... just let it be for now...

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:06 pm

More info:

A casual employee:

has no guaranteed hours of work
usually works irregular hours (but can work regular hours)
doesn't get paid sick or annual leave
can end employment without notice, unless notice is required by a registered agreement, award or employment contract.

Ref: Casual Employees

Lorina

greensleeve

Post by greensleeve » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:46 am

Lorina,

Hi, thank you. Other educators in this centre are also casual(except the roomleaders) however they have contract.

I am just confused since I got shifts through email every friday and it can be from Monday to Friday.

How long do I need to notice them if I have changes in time arrangments?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:49 pm

Just leave it for the time being and see how it goes... after one month if you are consistently getting each Friday then you can ask for a contract. Since you are only a casual a contract isn't necessary unless they off you permanent casual, so just wait and see. As long as you're getting work that the main thing!

In regards to time arrangements from your end, you let them know as soon as you can so they can arrange for someone else to replace you...

Lorina