Unqualified Trainee studying Diploma wage

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
reyrey

Unqualified Trainee studying Diploma wage

Post by reyrey » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:32 pm

Hi I am wondering if anyone here is studying their Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care through a traineeship? How much do you get an hour if the centre you work at is paying for your study?

Lorina

Re: Unqualified Trainee studying Diploma wage

Post by Lorina » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:03 pm

In regards to the traineeship, you will need to pay the tuition fee directly to the RTO (the course provider, whom you will be studying with). It varies depending on who you do your traineeship through but it could be $1000/ or a little more. As for your pay, there isn't a Diploma traineeship wage. it depends on your duties and your level of responsibilities. However, as far as I understand you will be paid a minimum wage of a cert 3 educator until you complete your Diploma where you will move up to a Diploma wage. A cert 3 educator gets a minimum of $20.61 per hour/full time.

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina

reyrey

Post by reyrey » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:14 am

Thanks for your reply, I have a few more questions... At the moment I have zero qualifications, not even a Cert III, but my diploma is about 70% completed. I have been working as a lead educator for the past two years - if my understanding is correct then I should be on Level 4A.3 and my hourly rate should be $22.60? Currently I am being paid according to the trainee wage, is my employer able to do this because they are paying for the entirety of my course?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:52 pm

Have you paid your RTO the tuition fee?

Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:54 pm

Even though you haven't got a cert 3, your Diploma has the cert 3 units within it, so if you are 70% complete then you would of completed the cert 3 units already, which technically makes you cert 3 qualified.

Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:57 pm

In regards to your trainee wage, the Diploma qualification doesn't have a specific trainee wage set like the cert 3 traineeship so you are to be paid as for your job role. Since you are the lead educator, yes you should be on Level 4A.3 as you have stated.

Lorina

reyrey

Post by reyrey » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:52 pm

I haven't paid any fees as my employer is paying for my course.

Thanks for your help. I think I will have to have a talk to my centre director.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:42 pm

Yes, you should talk to your centre director to find out exactly why they are paying you as a trainee, if you are not satisfied with their reply then you can take it further from there...

Lorina