Diploma student looking to apply for childcare position

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
kapow

Diploma student looking to apply for childcare position

Post by kapow » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:58 pm

Hi all,

I did have a quick browse of the topics and couldn't find what I am about to ask.

Basically, I am studying a diploma of early childhood education and care and have completed my first work placement. I have not studied my certificate III and have read many a time that once you have finished your first work placement in the diploma course you have completed the equivalent of a certificate III.

I have just found a position that doesn't weigh their decisions based on qualifications or experience which is rare and I am considering applying.

My question is, with my current qualification (or lack there of) what pay grade would I be? I am very keen to apply and want to at least land an interview therefore my follow up question is: am I shooting myself in the foot by thinking that it is a good idea for me to mention in the application process that I would be happy to accept a position and be contracted for a 12 month period where I would be paid as a certificate III qualified educator?

I am in the final stages of completing my diploma and am only in need of finding a centre to complete my work placement at. But ultimately I would like to gain paid experience in childcare rather than continuing to work in Outside School Care for at least the next 5 months just so I can meet the typical required criteria of this area for someone with paid experience working with children. Which is another question - is experience working in outside school care going to look good on a resume if I have only ever prior to that worked in retail and were applying for a position in a childcare centre?

Hoping that all made sense and I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this!!

Thanks in advance - Kim

Lorina

Re: Diploma student looking to apply for childcare position

Post by Lorina » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:02 pm

Hi Kim,

What position is this for? A room leader or an assistant position?

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:03 pm

Also, even though you haven't technically finished your Diploma, you may qualify for a Diploma educator if you meet the following requirements:

The requirements for actively working towards an approved qualification are:
-being enrolled in a course for the qualification
- having commenced the course
- making satisfactory progress towards completion
- meeting the requirements to maintain enrolment
- holding an approved certificate III qualification OR having completed the approved certificate III units

Ref: Working Towards A Qualification

Have you completed the approved cert 3 units?

I wouldn't advise that you openly say that you would be happy to be paid as a cert 3 qualified educator... Even if this is for an assistant educator position a Diploma qualified educator earns a little more than a cert 3 qualified educator as an assistant.

Lorina

JaEd

Post by JaEd » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:26 am

Hi Lorina!

I would like to ask if a student like me obtaining for a Diploma in Early Childhood Education and Care can apply for a position in Childcare? The course has just started last October 8 of this year. I already have the First Aid Certificate and the Working with Children Check.

Looking forward to your response. Thank you.

Best regards,
Janet

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:24 pm

JaEd wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:26 am
Hi Lorina!

I would like to ask if a student like me obtaining for a Diploma in Early Childhood Education and Care can apply for a position in Childcare? The course has just started last October 8 of this year. I already have the First Aid Certificate and the Working with Children Check.

Looking forward to your response. Thank you.

Best regards,
Janet

Hi Janet,

I've replied to your email, regarding the same question above.

Lorina