Getting Sick In The First Year Of Working With Children

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Charlotte__

Getting Sick In The First Year Of Working With Children

Post by Charlotte__ » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:53 pm

Hello, I've been working in child care for about a year now, so far it's been great... However I am having a bit of trouble with being sick all the time! It varies from a common cold to more serious illnesses.... I have had severe gastro twice, ear infections due to sinus infection from a cold (just too name a few). Is there anything I should/could be doing to reduce my risk of catching everything? I am CONSTANTLY washing my hands at work, making sure I wear gloves and always make sure I am cleaning properly etc... I have heard that this happens in the first year of working in child care but surely it can't be this bad, I've been sick about 8 times just this year. Is there any supplements like immune boosters I could take? I have recently got a flu shot.
Help! Thanks :)

Lorina

Re: Getting Sick In The First Year Of Working With Children

Post by Lorina » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:57 pm

Yeah, it's typical to get sick during the first year of working with the children... Children spread and carry germs and since we are directly in contact with children, you're bound to get sick. You're coughed on, sneezed on, boogied on (lol) and if your immunity can't handle it you get sick... You could probably increase your immunity to help you deal with coughs and colds but with gastro if you get it you get it. Washing your hands, wearing gloves, cleaning etc. all helps to reduce the spread of germs but sometimes it's not enough. Having a flu shot may help so it's good you got that done...

You could also:

Vitamin C is an extremely important nutrient for boosting immunity. Include plenty of foods high in vitamin C in the diet, including fresh fruits and vegies, especially citrus fruits, kiwi fruit, strawberries, broccoli, cabbage and parsley. A vitamin C supplement is also recommended to ward off colds and flu, take around 2-3 g a day.

Zinc is another important mineral needed for healthy immune function. Zinc is found in foods such as red meat, chicken, fish, dairy foods, eggs, legumes and sunflower and pumpkin seeds. Taking a zinc supplement is also beneficial, around 45mg a day.

More great immune-boosting foods that should be included in the diet include miso, ginger, garlic, onion, yoghurt, green tea and seaweed.

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:59 pm

Oh just wanted to add your body does build up it's immunity as you continue to work with children... I seem to be able to miss out on catching the common cold and flu (knock on wood)...My daughter will catch a cold, spread to my husband but misses me! Hehehe :lol:

Lorina

Charlotte__

Post by Charlotte__ » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:33 pm

Oh thanks so much Lorina! I will take those tips on board :) Hopefully it will get better soon :)
Thanks again.
Charlotte :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:43 pm

No worries Charlotte... It's usually worse during the winter months as well! Just make sure you keep yourself warm during the cold days and make sure you keep your neck and chest covered!

Lorina

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:29 am

Hi Charlotte,
Yes you do get everything the kids have in the first year and its hard with a large group to spend the time teaching the necessary hygiene practices to prevent the spread of illness.
I spend a lot of time teaching the children how to cover their mouths and turn their heads away from the table and people when they cough, wash their hands and how to use a tissue on their fingers to get out whatever is necessary :sick: This of coarse is much easier in a smaller Family Day Care group than in a centre but I start this from a very young age and the children do it, we make reward charts etc and make sure I notice everytime they do it and praise them. This all makes a huge difference and I very rarely have a child in care sick and in turn I never get sick.
In saying that though a family that came from a centre last year to full time with me this year said every second week their child was off sick for a few days and sent her when she wasn't well cause she was catching it from there anyway. This year she has had one day off sick, big difference, and I wouldn't put up with anyone sending a sick child to put everyone else at risk.
All the best, large doses of Vit C are great to build you up..... I personally would run in the opposite direction from the Flu Vac, I believe it causes more problems than it solves and doesn't stop you from getting other flu strains.
Linsaa fdc :wave:

Charlotte__

Post by Charlotte__ » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:53 pm

Ahh thank you! I love the idea of reward charts :)
Thanks for your help.
I have one more question, since I am always sick I am constantly bringing germs home and my partner is suffering just as much as I am, will it get better for him? Will he become immune as well?

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:37 am

As far as home goes you have to keep your germs away from him, don't kiss, share cups, utensils etc and I swear by glen 20. Keep it near you and spray it when you cough and sneeze or use the phone.
My family never gets sick when someone else is sick in my home and neither does any of my FDC kids.
All the best
Linsaa fdc :wave:

i*love*pugs

Post by i*love*pugs » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:27 pm

I'm late to this thread, but I have some experience with illness in the first year (including placements). I contracted conjunctivitus twice. One of those times I was doing my placement and noticed the baby had discharge in his eye. The centre did not remove him. I contracted gastro and headlice in another centre. I am really smart in how I deal with this now. I never allow my hair to make contact with any child and usually wear it up in a tight bun. I am also really fussy about wearing gloves and how I dispose of them. Some parents are quite determined to place their children in care, even if the child is sick. I have heard some unbelievable excuses for why a child had diarrhea or a grotty nose. You need to be really firm in not allowing sick children to enter a kindergarten or childcare centre.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:12 pm

i*love*pugs wrote:I'm late to this thread, but I have some experience with illness in the first year (including placements). I contracted conjunctivitus twice. One of those times I was doing my placement and noticed the baby had discharge in his eye. The centre did not remove him. I contracted gastro and headlice in another centre. I am really smart in how I deal with this now. I never allow my hair to make contact with any child and usually wear it up in a tight bun. I am also really fussy about wearing gloves and how I dispose of them. Some parents are quite determined to place their children in care, even if the child is sick. I have heard some unbelievable excuses for why a child had diarrhea or a grotty nose. You need to be really firm in not allowing sick children to enter a kindergarten or childcare centre.
Completely agree! I also have my long hair in a bun! No one knew how long my hair was until they saw my hair out during a centre function... HEHEHE...

Lorina

Saintvito10

Post by Saintvito10 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:06 am

I just started working in the child care industry for 1 week and 2 days on Friday when I went to work a child was sick in my class room and we all had close contact with him that day. I always keep my hands clean and every thing else around me clean. But this morning I have woken up with a sore throat and blocked nose and im honestly feeling not the best... plus we have had 6 out breaks of gastro is well in the past 3 and a half weeks.
I was just wondering is it possible I got sick from the child that i had close contact with me for two days?

Butterflyblue
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Butterflyblue » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:39 pm

Sorry to hear you got sick so soon but yes, its entirely possible you got sick from that child.

Unfortunately even though educators clean like crazy, germs get in and spread, especially when parents bring kids who are getting sick/ are sick.

Its the reality of our work, there's not a lot you can do except reduce risks by cleaning as you go, make sure your vaccinated and try to keep your immune system strong.

Hope you feel better soon :)

Emmk

Post by Emmk » Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:12 pm

wear a mask and dont touch your face at all. work on strengthen your immune system through ,sleeping well , exercising, eating health and do intermitting fasting of 15 hours minimum . if you don't get very good quality herbal vitamins don't bother buying them. dont get any immunizations as they weaken and destroy the system. do some kind of detoxifications . work hard on your health dont let sickness control your life and you never look back . i was the same but i am much better now and stronger dont get sick any longer from working around kids

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:52 am

FACEBOOK POST

Armaforce capsuals

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:52 am

FACEBOOK POST

Try Sambucol immune defense, Multi vitamin and lots of fresh fruit and veg and yogurt

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:53 am

FACEBOOK POST

I swear by olive leaf extract

soulahoin

Post by soulahoin » Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:00 pm

Oh, that's tough! Working with kids can expose you to all sorts of bugs. In addition to what you're already doing, some folks swear by supplements like vitamin C and zinc for immune support. But ultimately, it might just take time for your immune system to adjust.