OOSH workers

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

OOSH workers

Post by dulciean » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:50 pm

Am just wondering if anyone here works as an OOSH educator/assistant? Am tossing up the idea of this type of work so then I could do my diploma studies in-between split-shifts. Any insight or advice out there?

Lorina

Re: OOSH workers

Post by Lorina » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:10 pm

Hey Dulciean,

Awhile ago I used to work in an OOSH service and I really enjoyed it and it's also a great idea if you're in between studies. You either work the morning shift or the afternoon shift (or) both. In the morning when you arrive you need to prepare breakfast for the children and also provide a program that the children will participate in during the morning. During the afternoon you will also need to prepare afternoon tea. This can include pasta, tortillas, sandwiches etc and prepare the activities and games the children will be involved in throughout the afternoon. The only thing is that you will probably work like a 6 hr day (if you are working both morning and afternoon shifts) or less (if you are only working on one shift a day). By 9am you should be able to leave and be back by about 2pm so that does give you alot of time during the day to complete assignments etc. This also depends on the opening time and closing times.

The only reason why I gave it up because I needed more hours and I wanted to have a more broad experience in early childhood.

Cheers :geek:,
L.A