Studying Cert 3 and Diploma together

General discussions on Diploma or Advanced Diploma of Children's Services.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Children Services. Please refer to Diploma Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
aprillee

Studying Cert 3 and Diploma together

Post by aprillee » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:45 pm

Hello all,
I'm halfway through my Cert 3 and have just started my Diploma and I was wondering if anyone else has done this and/or if anyone has any tips on how to juggle both of these at once? I don't feel like it's too much at the moment and it's by correspondence so it's all at my own pace.
Should I make a study plan?

Thank you! :D

Lorina

Re: Studying Cert 3 and Diploma together

Post by Lorina » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:04 am

I didn't know you could do both at the same time! Just wondering how did you manage to do that?

Are you enrolled in the new Diploma of Early Childhood and Care?

I would definitely be making up a study plan. Foremost in regards to completing assignments and tasks due you should complete the ones that are due first and start the assignments that are easier to complete first. In saying this, you should also divide your week up to study either the cert 3 or Diploma. For example: Monday and Wednesday you could focus on Cert 3 and on Tue and Fridays you can focus on your Diploma.

Good Luck,

:geek:,
L.A

aprillee

Post by aprillee » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:22 am

Hi!
Well I originally contacted the people I am doing it through and told them I was interested in studying childcare and that I wanted to jump straight into the diploma and they were like yeah that's fine and then a few days later I got a call from them saying it was best to do Cert 3 so then they were like we can 'join' it together, so I have 2 different trainers for each course.

Yeah I'm definitely going to do that, I'll work on my Cert 3 Monday and Tuesday and my Diploma Wednesday to Friday. That way I'm not confusing myself I think. That you so much for your help! :) :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:44 am

That's interesting... Now you don't need to have a cert 3 qualification to do a Diploma because the Diploma has combined units of cert 3 within it... Previously before starting a Diploma you would need to have done a cert 3 qualification but this has recently been changed. If you are doing the Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care you don't need a cert 3 qualification... Are you paying for both the courses separately or combined? I would also check to see the name of your Diploma course to check what you are doing to find out exactly why you are doing both if you just need to complete the Diploma.

I'm sorry I don't want to worry you I just want to make sure your course provider is providing you all the details,

L.A

aprillee

Post by aprillee » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:26 pm

Hm, I didn't know you didn't have to do cert 3 to do it but all they told me was 'It would be best to start off doing cert 3'
I'm doing the Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care, so does this mean I don't need to do the cert 3 at all I'll just be doubling up on the course? Because they felt really strong about me doing Cert 3 before my Diploma

I'm not saying for them, they are both government funded :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:46 am

Well it's good that you are not paying for both the courses!

If you are enrolled in the Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care there is no need to do a cert 3 course since these modules are already within the Diploma course. Your course provider may have asked you to do the cert 3 course to prepare you for the Diploma and to get to learn the basics by doing the cert 3 first. However, I don't see a point doing it at this stage since you are completing it together. You don't need to do a cert 3 qualification. You may be doubling up. In saying this, if you have no prior knowledge or experience in childcare and wanting some basic studies and information to get you started then I guess the cert 3 course is the start you need but you don't need to complete it for your Diploma course...

L.A

aprillee

Post by aprillee » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:49 pm

Hm, what do you think I should do? It would be a bit of a waste just stopping my cert 3 now. I could ask to take out the units i have already done out of the Diploma?

matt-hardy

Post by matt-hardy » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:46 am

Hi Aprillee,

Its always a good thing to finish what you start but from a technical point of view a Certificate III is entry level where as the Diploma is for a para professional. The sequencing of the qualifications (Cert III - IV - Diploma - Advanced Diploma) are designed to form a pathway that builds on the knowledge of the qualifications before it. This sequence assumes that when you start studying you only have sufficient language, literacy and numeracy skills (LLN) and industry experience to complete the lowest qualification. If you have a higher level of LLN and industry knowledge / or the ability to comprehend and learn this through studying there are no requirements stopping you from moving up to the Diploma / or beyond.

So to answer your question (in my opinion) it wouldn't be a waste stopping your Cert III to focus on the diploma for the following two reasons:
  • You will get statement of attainments for each units you have completed competently. (Giving you the credit you deserve for the work you have put in)
  • Any reasonable and intelligent employer would credit you as being decisive, driven & focused for making the change now. As an employer, I would assume the Cert III wasn't difficult or stimulating enough for you and, I would look at
you enrolling in the Diploma as you pushing yourself to learn making you a more valuable employee in the future.

Hope this helps.

Matthew Hardy
Founder & MD
Training Advisor

aprillee

Post by aprillee » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:00 pm

Oh wow, thanks so much Matthew!
The certificate 3 so far has given me the basic knowledge of starting out, I don't think I would of been able to jump straight into a Diploma because looking at the units and work I wouldn't of been able to understand it completely at first. I flew through my first 5 units of the Certificate 3 which is when I thought I could take on the Diploma.
I've created a study plan, Monday and Tuesday is Cert 3 study and Thursday and Friday is Diploma study I use Wednesday as a 'catch up' day, or if I need to do a big unit/ assignment for either cert 3 or diploma.

I start my placement soon also, would love to smash it out as 2 blocks of 2 weeks full time.
Thank you so much for your help Matthew.

April

matt-hardy

Post by matt-hardy » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:14 pm

You are most welcome April. If you need any other advice please feel free to write to me at cwo(at)trainingadvisor(dot)com(dot)au .

I think any employer would be crazy not to put you on permanently. If you ever move to Sydney hit me up for a job (we are not a childcare center).

Your posts have demonstrated some very employable qualities.

Matthew

aprillee

Post by aprillee » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:27 pm

Oh wow! It's very amazing hearing that after so long without employment. Just what I needed to hear, thank you so much for your help!

I'll keep that in mind if the move to Sydney ever occurs.

Thank you
April

barbg

Post by barbg » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:27 am

Lorina wrote:Well it's good that you are not paying for both the courses!

If you are enrolled in the Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care there is no need to do a cert 3 course since these modules are already within the Diploma course. Your course provider may have asked you to do the cert 3 course to prepare you for the Diploma and to get to learn the basics by doing the cert 3 first. However, I don't see a point doing it at this stage since you are completing it together. You don't need to do a cert 3 qualification. You may be doubling up. In saying this, if you have no prior knowledge or experience in childcare and wanting some basic studies and information to get you started then I guess the cert 3 course is the start you need but you don't need to complete it for your Diploma course...

L.A

Lorina, I wanted to do a Diploma in Early Childhood at a brick and mortar training center in my area and was told that I can't, that I had to do a Cert 3 first. I have just completed a Cert 3 in Ed Support in 2014. I'm so confused! If I can do a Diploma with components of Cert 3 already incorporated, could you please point me in the direction? thanks barb

matt-hardy

Post by matt-hardy » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:15 pm

Hi Barbg,

Under certain conditions you would have to do the Certificate III first. Their are requirements and standards that RTO's should adhere to. Unfortunately sometimes they use these rules are used as reasons to make people that would otherwise be better of doing a higher qualification do the lower one first. (the RTO would make more money this way).

Hope this offers you some clarity.

Best Regards,

Matthew Hardy
Founder & MD
Training Advisor

barbg

Post by barbg » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:50 pm

hi matthew,

thanks for clarifying. its clearer that i should now look for an RTO that will allow for a direct entry to diploma.

kind regards
barb

matt-hardy

Post by matt-hardy » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:22 pm

Hi Barbg,

That is exactly what we do. We independently review RTO's so we know who is good and who isn't. If you ever need any help, our service is free.

Best Regards,

Matthew Hardy
Google- Training Advisor (beta site)

kelseyjones0902

Post by kelseyjones0902 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:12 pm

how many units are their if they are combined?

ashleeybennett

Post by ashleeybennett » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:16 pm

Hi!
I have been working in the childcare industry since start of 2017. I was told by a careers advisor during 2018 that because I had worked in the industry for (x amount) of years I did not need to complete my certificate three and just jump straight into my diploma, I took this information as: you are experienced qualified so you can study higher up. Since then I begun my studies through an organisation that I had troubles with last year and did gain a statement of attainment however since changing to ACCCO my previous statement of attainment unit codes are not the same, thus I have to start my diploma again. My trainer is super lovely and I am enjoying my studies and work however how do I approach my centre with this information.

I was given misleading information in regards to not needing a certificate three. How do I approach my director by explaining that I am actually unqualified but actively studying, but type of wages would I be looking at also?

Sorry I am so nervous.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:19 pm

It shouldn't be a problem because the Diploma Qualification now has the Cert 3 units embedded into it. So, the first half of your Diploma is actually the cert 3 unit requirements then the second half is the Diploma part.

I would contact your trainer and ask for the Cert 3 units that you need to complete or have completed.

What is your current position at your centre?

Lorina

StephanieLE

Post by StephanieLE » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:06 pm

Hello :)
I’m doing diploma in early childhood which had cert 3 combined. Doing this through Tafe online. They have you do all cert 3 clusters first and then it just continues into diploma. It saved me money as well as it was all combined. I started placement and after 2 weeks was employed by the centre. Studying the diploma certainly helped me getting a job whilst on placement.
Good luck with it all :)

Amnamaham102

Post by Amnamaham102 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:42 am

Hi stephanieLE i am doing diploma in the same way as u r from tafe online. And i get paid job as well.. They pay me 20 dollar because they said i didn't complete my cert 3 cluster. So my question is are my paid hours count the placement hours as well?? I am confuse should i need to do volunteer hours to complete placement?