Can I work as a room leader while I study my diploma?

General discussions on Diploma or Advanced Diploma of Children's Services.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Children Services. Please refer to Diploma Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
mimstar

Can I work as a room leader while I study my diploma?

Post by mimstar » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:21 pm

Hi,

I am currently studying my diploma, hoping to finish it in Feb 2014. I have been told that I can work as a room leader while I am studying but then someone else told me that I can't lead a room until I have finished. Therefore, I'm a bit confused about what jobs I should be applying for...

If someone could let me know...

Thanks

Mim

Lorina

Re: Can I work as a room leader while I study my diploma?

Post by Lorina » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:14 pm

Hi Mim,

According to ACECQA:
To be actively working towards an approved diploma or ECT qualification, a person must:

be enrolled in a course for the qualification
have commenced the course
be making satisfactory progress towards completion
meet the requirements to maintain enrolment.

to be counted as at least a diploma level educator for ratio purposes you need to meet a fifth requirement:

hold an approved certificate III qualification OR have completed approved certificate III units OR completed 30% of the units in an approved ECT qualification.

As you go for a room leader position you will be counted towards ratio and as long as you meet the above requirements I think you're be able to work as a room leader. You're nearly finished anyway... So, I don't see why not.

law92
Helper
Helper

Post by law92 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:27 am

Hi

Lorina that's very interesting info. So just to clarify, if I have my cert 3 and have completed 30% of the units of an approved ECT qualification I can technically work as a group leader?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:26 am

Lorina that's very interesting info. So just to clarify, if I have my cert 3 and have completed 30% of the units of an approved ECT qualification I can technically work as a group leader?
As far as I understand yes. However, once you finished 50% of your degree you can be counted as an ECT. This starts from January 2014. So if you can hold on for another couple more units as you complete 50%, you can work as an ECT... Here is more info: http://www.acecqa.gov.au/actively-worki ... lification

Hope this help,

:geek: ,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:06 pm

law92 wrote:Hi

Yep

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:06 pm

from Jan 2014 though

Misse84
Helper
Helper

Post by Misse84 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:16 pm

That is awesome. I just started my Diploma, but hopefully I can apply for a room leader position by the end of the year. More $$ I hope :P

xoxo

Post by xoxo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:24 pm

What about someone studying a duel certificate III and diploma - so not formal certifications?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:59 pm

xoxo wrote:What about someone studying a duel certificate III and diploma - so not formal certifications?

Here is some information that may help:

Certificate III and Diploma
You are considered actively working towards an approved certificate III level qualification if you can provide documentary evidence from the course provider to your approved provider that you are:

enrolled in the course and have started study
making satisfactory progress towards completing the course
meeting the requirements to maintain enrolment.
You are considered actively working towards an approved diploma level qualification if you can satisfy all of the above and one of the following:

hold an approved certificate III level qualification OR
have completed the approved certificate III units OR
have completed 30% of the units in an approved ECT qualification.
‘Actively working towards’ provisions may not apply where a state or territory specific regulation is in place, including for services educating and caring for school age children. If you have any questions about this, contact your regulatory authority.

Please note that all family day care coordinators in Australia are required to have an approved diploma level education and care qualification and cannot be ‘actively working towards’ this qualification.

Actively working towards provisions apply under regulations 126(1) and 127 of the National Regulations.

Ref: Working Towards An Approved Qualification

:geek:,
Lorina

georgie99

Post by georgie99 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:38 pm

Hi,
So I have finished my cert III and have just begun my bachelor to be a ECT. So I can be a room leader because I am enrolled in the ECT course and completed my Cert 3