A Career Change...Please Help

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Charina

A Career Change...Please Help

Post by Charina » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:39 pm

Hello there.
I feel lucky in finding this site. I have read many entries and find it very interesting and informative. May I introduce myself and ask some advice?
I am about to change my career and I believe working with children suits me. I am a mom and in my forty's. I also love children especially babies.
My questions are:
1. Is it too late for a career change? Do childcare centre employ mature age people?
2. Do you know any school who arranges work placement for students? ( or at least help students in arranging work placement?)
3. I prefer to study online and there are a lot of school to choose from. Is Open College good or is it better at OTEN ? Actually I am confused because I've been to a lot of school websites. I don't know which one to choose. Do childcare centre prefer TAFE graduates?

My immediate plan is to study Certificate III in Childcare via online study and hopefully gain employment afterwards. Maybe a diploma in the future.
Thanks for reading and I look forward to your advises.---Charina

muttley
Participator
Participator

Re: A Career Change...Please Help

Post by muttley » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:11 am

Hi Charina,
Firstly, welcome to the site. It is full of wonderful information and advice.
It is not too late for a career change. I am about to turn 43 and have been working in child care for 17 months and I love it! I gained employment first and my employer then sponsored me to do my Certificate 3 through Skills for All and I am now doing my Diploma. I am working whilst I am studying. I am studying my Diploma through ACCCO - Australian Child Care Career Options - and I have a representative from the college come out once a month to discuss any questions I may have as well as pick up any work that I have completed and to give me any new modules. This way works for me. I work with a great bunch of people who are more than willing to help me and my educational leader is a wealth of knowledge and information.
To me, it doesn't matter what your age is, if you show a passion for your chosen career, then go for it!
Good luck and let me know how you go.
:inlove: :clap: ;) :wave: :wave: :thumbup:

Charina

Post by Charina » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:10 am

Hi Muttley.
Thanks for your welcome and advice.
I'm glad at your situation. It encourages me to pursue this career. I will definitely go for it!
Thanks again.

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:59 pm

Hi Charina, its never too late and 40s isint old. Starting with the cert 3 will be the way to go. There are plenty of institutions now-a-days and many options are there. Regarding your question about centres preferring TAFE graduates, it is hard to say since it depends on the person hiring you for the job. My current centre director once told me that she does give importance or preference to the applicants who had studied with TAFE over others since they are reliable. I think that this is totally unfair and technically they cant say that out loud. But it is what it is. Having said that, not all centres does this. Some people would consider you based on your performance during the interview. Let us know how it all goes for you and remember there are a lot of good people in this site here to help you out.. :D

Charina

Post by Charina » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:11 pm

Thanks Catchmeifucan.
You are right. There are a lot of good people in this site.
I will surely update you guys. Thanks!