Group Times 16 months - 2 years

Childcare room set-up ideas, strategies for teaching children, group times, Montessori teaching and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Pinkanat

Group Times 16 months - 2 years

Post by Pinkanat » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:58 pm

I have just become the room leader of a 0-3 room. This year most of our children are around 1.5 years - 2 years old.
All of my staff members including myself have struggled hosting group times with such a young age group (we are use to 2-3 year olds).

We are struggling to get them to come to the group time as they do not want to leave play, once they are sitting or standing around the group time it is a struggle to keep them there (they get up instantly) and some of my children get very distressed and cry.

We have tried to implement small group times which helps unless one of them are upset, we sing a group time song and give children prior warning.
I was thinking of implementing a group time bell so children know what to do when they hear that noise, any thoughts or suggestions?

ANewBeginning2018

Re: Group Times 16 months - 2 years

Post by ANewBeginning2018 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:02 pm

It will take a bit of energy and effort at first, but if you are consistent and have group /circle time at the same time each day, the toddlers will get used to it in time.
Ringing a bell is such a lovely idea.
You can also have placemats with each child’s pic on it and lay them on the floor. The toddlers will know where to sit and it will be a learning activity to recognize once’s picture too.

Good luck.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:49 am

Use lots of visuals such as felts, images that the children can see during singing. For e.g if you are singing old McDonald you can use animal figurines or toys to show which animal etc. tell stories using felts etc. use musical instruments that they can shake and play with, play games, dance, do exercise etc. griupntimes diesnt have to be about sitting and reading a book... it can be anything really...

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:53 am

This may also help: Group Time With Children

:geek:,
Lorina