Extending Learning On Fruit

Childcare room set-up ideas, strategies for teaching children, group times, Montessori teaching and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
LindyT
Coach
Coach

Extending Learning On Fruit

Post by LindyT » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:29 pm

Hi

I had a lovely morning with my treasures. I need some help with extn ideas for the following please. I've got writers block.

Today was an amazing day with the children. They were all so settled and focussed.
They were inclusive of each other . Respectful and communicated well.

Today we have the most marvelous time at morning tea.
Some of the children are a little less than enthusiastic about their fruit. I have been thinking about how I can encourage the children all to eat fruit and came up with the following.

I said to Lincoln (A great fruit eater and a child that understands humour)
“Don’t you eat your fruit Lincoln”.
He looked at me with a huge smile on his face and took a huge bite of his fruit.
I said “Oh my goodness that’s so naughty not to do as you are told! DON’T eat your fruit!!”
He laughed out loud as I said this
We went through this routine again with the same outcomes.
The other children caught on to the game and all the children started willingly eating their fruit.
I then included their water in this game and almost all the drink bottles ended up empty.

The mood was jovial and all the children were laughing and telling me they were eating their fruit/drinking their water. Their language was rich as they were talking about how they were NOT doing as Linda said. They found Being (Part of a collective joke) Belonging (Part of that joke) Becoming (Becoming more confident healthy eaters).
I think it was a very successful time with the children.

What I have leant
I have learnt that all the children will eat their fruit given the right trigger
I have also learnt that the meal times here need to be retooled to make meal times a richer more enjoyable time for the children where they are all encouraged to make heathy choices.
That I have a strong relationship with Lincoln in that I know his humour and his healthy eating habits.

Child feedback

Lincoln
Fruit time was so much fun NOT eating our fruit.
Cameron
I liked NOT eating my fruit too and I ate it all!!
Linda
Yes you did Cameron. I am very proud of you.
Jacob
I like you Linda your so much fun!
Scarlett
Yeah real fun
Tamika
I ate alllll my fruit and you saw me and we were laughing
Linda
Yes you did and YES we did have so much fun.

Lorina

Re: Need some help with extension ideas

Post by Lorina » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:08 pm

Hi Lindy,

Great, great, great!! I really liked what you have written... Very informative and detailed! :thumbup:

So, basically with what you have written and analyzed you are helping the children make healthy food choices. For a follow up you could introduce cooking experiences and have the children cook with fruits. For fruit, you could make fruit smoothies, fruit flans, fruit tarts etc... Just to show that fruit is versatile and you can cook with it... For example: Children often have raw apples but the taste slightly changes when you puree them and the texture also changes. So, I think this will be an interest idea to extend upon.

Let me know what you come up with!

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:19 pm

Thanks L.A
I got as far as the healthy eating but have DONE healthy eating sooo many times it was boring ME to tears.
But I think the cooking idea is great.
I think during this extn I might focus on the social aspect of cooking instead of the health benefits.
(I will mention it is healthy but move it into the social realm.
I'm brain storming as I go here

I could get the chn to research a recipe on the internet and through my cook books and they can pare it down to 1 to do.

Working in groups
Using media and text for a range of purposes
Respecting diversity (Some may not like certain things
Reciprocal rights
Empathy and respect
Fairness
emotionally strong
taking responsibility

goodness the list goes on.

Thanks again l.A can i clone your brain?
PLEASE??

jrw60
Participator
Participator

Post by jrw60 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:35 pm

Try some fruit necklaces - red & green grapes on nylon thread, fruit kebabs work well too but watch out for the sharp sticks!

PS I wanna come play at your house Lindy !!

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:59 pm

Your welcome any time jrw60

Done fruit kebabs before with this group we used spaghetti 2 pieces per kebab

The necklaces might be worth a try.

Thanks for the ideas!

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:13 pm

hi Lindy, its funny how kids do what you don’t want them to. :giggle:

First thing that popped into my head while I was reading your post was making a "fruit and vegetable garden". The kids will get to see firsthand how fruits and vegetables grow and a realization that many of the healthy foods we eat come from plants. You could also incorporate L.A's idea about cooking and you can cook with the fresh ingredients from your own fruit and veggie garden.