Under roof ratios & break cover

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
sr004

Under roof ratios & break cover

Post by sr004 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:40 pm

I've been reading a few of the other posts in the forum in regards to the above topics.
I have read the response member Lorina received from the The Department of Education which has helped clear some things up for me though I'm still unclear about the break cover issue.
I work at a centre based in Victoria. I've started at a new centre and there is a lot of under the roof ratios going on, which I do feel is often abused.
I have concerns over the break cover as we often cover our own breaks when there's just no one to do lunch cover - we might have one or maybe two people if we are lucky to do break cover in a centre for 15ish staff, and sometimes no staff to cover at all if anyone calls in sick (they never replace staff).
I have concerns as sometimes I can be in the staff room and half the staff are in there, clocked off for their half an hour lunch break (which means we can leave the centre if we want). We also get a twenty minute tea break (instead of two ten minute ones).
I work mostly in the older room but know that often in the toddlers there is one staff left while three staff have lunch while the children are sleeping, and in the pre kinder room there is one staff member left when there are usually three staff in the room, with only a quarter to half the children asleep. One staff member may go while the children are eating lunch as this is seen as a quiet time (I'm not sure how having children washing their hands, finding their spots, demanding more food, needing their water bottles refilled, needing to be assisted to clean out their bowls, wash up, then get ready for bed or rest time is considered a quiet time).
It just feels unsafe to me as what if on one particular day all the staff on lunch left the centre like they are entitled to do and their is an emergency.
I find it hard to speak up as it's basically just whats done there, when I have spoken to other staff members they pretty much make me feel like I'm having a big whinge and should just get over it. I find it so frustrating and stressful.
Not sure I'm looking for answers or I just need to have a vent and get this off my chest. Thanks for reading!