Sustainability in a early childhood setting

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Jeffnae

Sustainability in a early childhood setting

Post by Jeffnae » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:27 am

Hi everyone

I am after some more ideas of ways you promote sustainability within your settings.

If any one can provide some ideas that would be greatly appreciated.

Renae

Lorina

Re: Sustainability in a early childhood setting

Post by Lorina » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:16 pm

Sustainability is all about incorporating environmental practices within your childcare setting.

This can include such things as: recycling, composting, providing natural play areas, having a vegetable patch, gardening, using natural play materials etc.

I have a couple of documents I will attach below, which provides examples and details on how to promote sustainability within early childhood setting. This should help give you ideas on what to do in your childcare centre.

[attachment=1]sustainability_early_childhood.pdf[/attachment]
[attachment=0]practical_sustainability.pdf[/attachment]
I also found a website, which provides free resources on environmental education: http://www.livelearn.org/resources

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FionaC85

Post by FionaC85 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:25 pm

At my daughter's CHildcare it is a big part of their program and they have set out awareness of having vegie patches and chickens etc. Some families started their own veggie patches and such at home so bulletin boards have been made up with photos and stories. Also beautiful big baskets of veggies freshly picked in the foyer for families to take home. Instead of a traditional Christmas party for end of year celebrations they held a "first harvest" picnic for all the families which included gardening and planting as activities for the children. I thought this has been a lovely idea since removing her from a very plastic fantastic environment, and also has given me ideas for the service I work at too.

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Post by cathiek » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:39 pm

Worm farms are a good thing too. You can us all the food scraps to feed them. It makes great fertilizer for the gardens and kids can study the worms as an activity/ies.