staff/child ratio dont get it

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Lorina

Re: staff/child ratio dont get it

Post by Lorina » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:30 pm

JacksonBrowne wrote:
Hi all, could someone (anyone!) please confirm for me if a cert III and a trainee can be left alone in a centre (no manager, no diploma on the premises) with 17 children, 3 of those x2-3year olds! The Cert III is not an authorised or nominated supervisor. Id love to hear what you think.

Sorry, just wanted to add to this... As a child protection issue there should not be any staff member (casual, part time, full time) who is left alone within a centre, with children. There will always have to be another staff member present. This has to do with Child Protection LAWS... Even if you are within ratio and your by yourself, there should always be another staff member on the premises.

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:49 am

hi -@ L.A. unfortunately i agree with your observation that the industry as a whole is sliding into a black hole...
i first started working in centres back in 1992 . Ok, so there were issues then-but the approach was so much more holistic and about THE CHILDREN.
Fast forward to 2012 and it seems there is a monster in place of a Service- this probably has ALOT to do with trying to make a profit from such a precious resource- our children. Back in the dark ages, pre school was government funded and regulated and not trying to be more than it is. Yes- we are educators- but essentially we are CARING for these little souls -and in some instances virtually raising them.
I'm too long in the tooth to change my profession now- but I hope over the coming years to move into adult education/training to try to address the problems at the source . like the saying goes " be the difference you want to see in the world"
:thumbup:

didadi
Participator
Participator

Post by didadi » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:22 am

Hi, it not surprise to me at all, I was working with 12-15children by my own in the 3-4 room, I hate it !! I've talked to the center director, it was nothing changed,so I left the centre after I have been working there 3weeks.
I didnt need to change nappy though, but I can imagine how hard it will be.
More private centre are doing that, because of the budge. But it is shame for the center not to put children's interest in the first place:(
I reckon you can talk to director or move on to find different centre.