incident report - whose responsible when filling it out

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
sumi smithu

incident report - whose responsible when filling it out

Post by sumi smithu » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:43 pm

hi guys
this is the first time I post a doubt here . can some one please give me some information about this . I am working as a group leader . so my confusion is about incident report . who is responsible for filling up incident report. because in our center assistants never fill up the incident report. They just dose not care about that at all. even if the group leader does not witness incidents also they have to fill it and inform the parents. I think this is unfair and the assistants do not care about the accident happen in the Centre.
sumi

Lorina

Re: incident report

Post by Lorina » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:47 pm

Hi Sumi,

Welcome to Aussie Childcare Network! :wave:

At all centres I had been working with, in regards to the incident report whoever witnesses the incident should be the one to fill in the incident report. Whether it is an assistant, a group leader or even the director. I don't think it's fair for someone who witnessed an incident to make another person fill in the form when they have no idea about what happened.

If someone other than a group leader fills in the incident report, it is given to the room leader to check and make sure it is filled in correctly as well as co- signed before giving it to the parents.

I just checked out the National Regulations but it doesn't specifying needs to fill in the report however it does say that whoever witness the incident should provide their details.

So, I think it's perfectly fine for assistants to fill in incident reports if they witness an incident just as long as you check it before handing it over to parents.

:geek:,
L.A

Camron

Post by Camron » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:00 pm

I think lorina is right because the person who is witness fill the incident report and he is liable for that.And if you are not filling that you are responsible for anything that happening there.

AngelEden

Post by AngelEden » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:23 pm

ive done this assignment and i put employees and employers

CThomas

Post by CThomas » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:40 pm

The legislation doesn't specify who has to complete an incident report, but Lorina is correct in saying that the details of the person completing the record, AND any witnesses must be documented. Each service will have their own policy and procedure around this - which should clearly state who is responsible for completing these types of records. Some services only have senior staff complete records such as these, as an incident report is a record required under legislation. Every service may be different. In some services it doesn't matter who completes the record, as it is checked and signed off by the Director or Nominated Supervisor. In any event, if your policy and procedure states that any person can complete the record, then every person should be trained to do so. Incorrect or incomplete records could result in compliance action from the Regulatory Authority. My suggestion would be - if the person who witnessed the incident is not the person who completes the report, then the witness should at least write an account of what happended, in their own words, on a separate piece of paper, that is then attached to the back of the report. I hope this helps.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:41 pm

CThomas wrote:QR_BBPOST The legislation doesn't specify who has to complete an incident report, but Lorina is correct in saying that the details of the person completing the record, AND any witnesses must be documented. Each service will have their own policy and procedure around this - which should clearly state who is responsible for completing these types of records. Some services only have senior staff complete records such as these, as an incident report is a record required under legislation. Every service may be different. In some services it doesn't matter who completes the record, as it is checked and signed off by the Director or Nominated Supervisor. In any event, if your policy and procedure states that any person can complete the record, then every person should be trained to do so. Incorrect or incomplete records could result in compliance action from the Regulatory Authority. My suggestion would be - if the person who witnessed the incident is not the person who completes the report, then the witness should at least write an account of what happended, in their own words, on a separate piece of paper, that is then attached to the back of the report. I hope this helps.

Thankyou for your input!

Appreciate it!

:geek:,
Lorina