Help- i dont agree with progressive lunch time

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
iyaree

Help- i dont agree with progressive lunch time

Post by iyaree » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:00 am

can someone please explain the benefits of having a progressive lunch time - because clearly i am not seeing the positives.

At home I have hard enough time trying to get my son to sit at the table as a family when the hot meal is ready to eat, i want the same routine carried out at childcare too. i am the parent (also a worker) i thought what i want is considered?

The primary school i am sending my child to eats there meals inside together at a certain time and then get to go out and play, aswell as the kindergarton i send him too- so cleary this does not help for school readiness.

We already do progressive morning and afternoon tea, these are fine. but i feel lunch should be different. i understand its letting children continue their play etc but you know what as a parent what i say goes at home, and i think childcare educators should do this too.

How does the meal stay at the correct temp if its out for an hour or so? and what time do you start the lunch period, because we have been told it will be midday and i think this is too late - if a child eats breakfast at 7am, refuses morning tea they will be hungry before midday. and what about the toddlers they wont be able to stay up that late to eat their meal?

children are getting too much choice and power.

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Re: Help- i dont agree with progressive lunch time

Post by linsaa fdc » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:49 pm

Hi iyaree,
What a parent wants is always considered in my service. Different centers have different routines and myself as a Family Day Care Educator has my own way of doing things which we discuss on interview so if doesn't meet the families needs they can interview another Educator. Of coarse if it is a baby or toddler they have their own eating routine according to what their routine is at home but as the child gets older they can adapt to the group. I found if the children have a few reminders as we get closer to lunch time and if they know they don't have to pack their game away but can leave it there to continue playing with, there is no problems.
There are so many services out there and we all have our own way of doing things, its a matter of finding somewhere that does things the way you like.
All the best
Linsaa :wave:

Lorina

Re: Help- i dont agree with progressive lunch time

Post by Lorina » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:06 am

I agree that lunchtimes should be structured and at the same time everyday so children know when lunch time is expected. At all centres I have been with lunch time is always been structured. All children wash their hands, sit at the tables with their friends and enjoy a nice hot meal together along with the staff in the room. Lunchtimes are made enjoyable, social and both staff and children make it a positive experience together. Before lunch children are giving warning to begin to pack away their activity that they are engaged with. Also a small group time of reading a story and a few songs is conducted to get the children settled before having their meal. This is a part of the routine and children get accustomed to it.

At my previous centre lunch time was at 11:30am. It may seem a little early but by the time the children washed their hands, sat down ready to eat etc. It would be about 11:45 am. Lunchtime went for about half an hour to 45 minutes and then it was quiet time for an hour and a half followed by afternoon tea. The timings are according to each individual centre and how they implement their routine.

Yes, as a parent your suggestion should be considered. However, it may or may not be implemented depending on how it works wthin the routine of the day and how flexible educators are willing to be.

Just thought I'd share my thoughts,

:geek:,
L.A