Enabling Children To Learn Through Individual Learning Styles

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
stacey_samuels

Enabling Children To Learn Through Individual Learning Styles

Post by stacey_samuels » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:57 pm

Hi,

I would just like to gain some further information on how other child care professionals ensure that their programs respect and meet the different learning styles (audio, visual, kinaesthetic) of children in their care? In what ways do you ensure that children with different learning styles have the opportunities to learn in their most suited learning styles?

In what ways can we ensure that our programs are implemented and set up in ways that respect the learning styles of children?
Last edited by Lorina on Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: Enabling Children To Learn Through Individual Learning Styles

Post by Lorina » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:53 pm

Hi Stack,

It's definitely a good question you have asked... Generally through my teaching style I try and incorporate all types of learning styles into the children's daily experiences. Not only do I often read books for the children, I use story boards, felts, group time drawing board (such as if we are brainstorming I will write the words the children say on a board etc. I included this in the documentation also). I also find that having photos around the room is a great way for children to visually see something and don't realize their actually doing it. For example: I took a photo of the children in a line making a train. I stuck this photo onto the door. Now when the children are asked to line up they automatically stand in a line and make a train. So I guess it's about incorporating all learning styles into the routine.

I would also love to hear other ideas!

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

An Educator
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Post by An Educator » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:39 pm

Hi LA,
I like the idea of having pics around the room. Hope to copy this idea from you. THANK YOU!
I use personalized placemats for circle time (group time) Paste a photo of child on a A4 size hard board. Write Child"s name cleary. laminate the place mat.
Before group time, arrange the mats on floor, then invite each child to sit on his/her mat.I also use these handy mats for individual project work too. They wipe clean in a jiffy. My day care kids have learn to identify their names and identify the colours too. ( as each child's photo is on a self coulored mat)
Cheers,
An Educator

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:37 pm

Hey Educator!

What a great idea with the placemats! I'm stealing that idea from you :giggle:! I also use name cards that I have laminated and put on the table when we set it for meal times. When the children transition to the table, they have to find their name before sitting down. Another experience which I do during group time is while we are outside, I draw large numbers or shapes on the floor. Then we play a game where we have to do an action to each of the shapes/numbers. For example: "hop to the triangle, jump with your feet together to the square" etc... the children seem to enjoy it and it's another way to teach basic concepts. Hey what room are you currently working in?

Thanks for sharing your ideas because they are great!! :thumbup:

Cheers :geek:,
L.A