Educators own children issues

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Jaybers222

Educators own children issues

Post by Jaybers222 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:00 am

Hello,
How many of you work in an OSHC and have your own children with you? Does the OSHC service allow you to bring them and are you given a discount? There are plenty of valuable people who would like to work and contribute but have their own children to think of. Has anybody found a workable solution to this? I am interested to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

sairs.mesiti

Re: Educators own children issues

Post by sairs.mesiti » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:04 am

Hi Jaybers222
I have been an OOSH Co-Ordinator for many years and have always had the arrangement that staff members children are not able to attend the service their parent is working in.
There are many reasons behind this but basically that the situation can get ugly very quick. The educator is at work as an educator not a parent, however when issues do arise I have found it quite difficult to differentiate between a parent and a staff member.

While I understand the arrangement for drop off and pick would make your life easier, our service does not allow this.
My centre does not discount fees in any way for staff who use their services, however do offer salary sacrifice.

Hope this helps :)

Lorina

Re: Educators own children issues

Post by Lorina » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:35 pm

At an OOSH centre I had previously had been working with employers were able to have their own children with them. Since the children are in school they were able to understand that while they are at the centre their parent is the teacher. For some children it did take some time for the child to get use to seeing their parent interact with other children but the child liked seeing how "fun" their parent could be towards others.

In regards to the discount, I can't exactly remember the discount for staff (maybe 15%) however staff were able to pay by deducting their wages to pay for their child's care...

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina