Educator's rights

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
lucindaep1

Educator's rights

Post by lucindaep1 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:27 pm

Hi there, I am doing a presentation on advocating the rights of an educator. I was just wondering if anyone has had any instances where as an educator they have had their rights ignored or denied, if so, what was the scenario and did anything happen from the situation?

Thanks

Amy78

Re: Educator's rights

Post by Amy78 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:44 pm

I had a situation where I was working fulltime and had been for a few years at the same centre. I had recently bought a home. I had been paying the mortgage for just over a year. The Owner knew this.
She approached me one afternoon, when it was just her & I on late shift with children in the room. She told me that numbers were down and that she couldn't justify me working five days and that she would be putting me back to four days.
I received a letter stating that by agreement, in discussion with me, my hours would be cut back & I had to sign it.
I did to keep my job. The thing that made it unfair was that a casual staff member was employed to cover my shift that was taken from me !!
If there really was a downturn. casuals would go first. I think she didnt like paying me for rostered days off that I was entitled to as a fulltime employee, because she had to pay someone to replace me.

In my experience it almost always comes down to money. Employers will bend rules, coerce employees, and they get away with it :roll:

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:04 pm

I absolutely agree! Some employers find loopholes in order to cut down on staff, minimise shifts etc.

Why would they continue with a casual who is paid more than a full time staff? So, they don't have to pay sick days, annual leave etc. for them the extra money hats goes to a casual is a saving for them compared to full time staff!

Sad.

:geek:.
Lorina

Bensos
Participator
Participator

Post by Bensos » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:18 pm

Im concerned about my job too. I have two children in school - one with level 2 ASD. In order to attend mainstream school he has an aide with him one to one. Its not reasonable for him to be in school under those circumstances at the moment - they cant accommodate it and he wouldnt get anything from it - and end up more distressed than he currently is.

I work for a large provider and made a request before school closed down - to see if i could work shorter days - instead of 4 7 and a half hour days do 5 six hour days, or do the open shift (6 til 2.30 so i can leave and do home schooling in the afternoon). I offered to drop days because of reduced child numbers and even stand down as room leader and be float staff - I made it clear i was happy to do whatever was necessary to be home more during the day even if it means losing money. I was told that i was front line staff and my children should be in school.

I queried this and reiterated that i would be happy to switch shifts to the open so i can leave earlier. And also reminded my centre manager (and now the regional manager she has pulled in) that we are supposed to change shifts every term anyway. I have been put on to the open shift but now my regional manager wants a letter from my childs school stating that they cant be on site because of their additional needs.

I asked on what basis she needed the letter as i was on a regular shift pattern - not any variations. As I am meeting my contracted hours are they even allowed to ask for this? Surely my childs schooling arrangements are none of my employers business?? Im now worried about being penalised just for asking.

This is really stressful - i dont know what to do. Im getting up at 5am to go to work, getting home at three and starting home school. Everyone has a different idea about what an essential worker is - and assumes that their definition is the one that matters. Lots of the children in my care have parents who work in front line care - am I not allowed to worry about my children and try to limit their exposure potential? I really feel like my job is in jeopardy because Im putting my kids before other peoples.

GeorgeThomas324

Post by GeorgeThomas324 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:37 pm

I believe you have the right to do what ever you want but some people have some issues with others. And they interfere in others life.