Childcare Cooks

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
backpack

Childcare Cooks

Post by backpack » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:23 am

I currently work as a part-time cook in a busy Childcare Centre. I have a Certificate 3 TAFE Qualification in Commercial Cookery. I am writing this post as it has become clear to me that 'cooks' in childcare centres are (in my opinion) under qualified, working under enormous pressures and carrying a lot of responsibility. I personally feel that the qualifications required by law do not match the responsibility of a child care cook. I would love to hear what others have to say about this. There are so many children with special needs, dietary requirements and allergies - children are very vulnerable - and it is a huge resposibility that the cooks ensure that these needs are met. I take my job very seriously and I do not do it for the money (the pay rate is unbelievably low - for the level of responsibility). We want our children to have healthy, tasty food and I always do my best to do this - working with a set menu, however the number one priority of a child-care cook is to provide the children with a safe environment ensuring that their health and dietary needs are fulfilled. I have introduced to my centre a dietary requirement checklist, a whiteboard and mandatory labelling. It is however, very difficult to get others to follow these procedures. Cooks are so often strapped for time and take shortcuts in order to get the job done (this is not my practice) and are often uneducated. I have always discussed my concerns with my director and owner of our centres - being a cook in a childcare centre is hard work, we work to a strict time frame, alot is expected of us, we are on our feet all day and there are no breaks (I don't have time to take a break). Personally, in order to get my job done properly, I go in 1 hour earlier at my own expense and often work beyond my work hours - I do this because I have pride in what I do and want to do the job to the best of my ability.
I am very interested in others opinions on this topic and any advice, feedback, response or suggestions to improving and supporting childcare cooks would be greatly appreciated. I intend to look into this topic further, it is my aim to improve this sector of the industry - I intend to pass on this information to my Director.

y-neha

Re: Childcare Cooks

Post by y-neha » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:48 pm

It’s very well written and I could see myself in the same situation. I have worked in commercial kitchen for 10 years. On one fine day, I got an opportunity to work in a child care centre just for few weeks as I was replacing one of my friend.
While working there for couple of weeks, I realised that either child care chefs or cooks have been underrated or this industry does not take children meals seriously.
What children get to eat up to age of 5 in most of the centres Is bland, overcooked, undercooked, quick meal out of which 30%to 40% goes in the bin. I am not saying that it is happening in every centre or all the chefs are not preparing the food as good as it should be. Sometimes , chefs are under limited time that they have to adopt short cuts and eventually they get it in to practice.
It’s quite weird and strange that child care cooks or chefs are not even considered as qualified chefs who can work in commercial kitchens . And I do blame the child care industry for this.
When they advertise to hire a chef they mention so many professional terms as if they are hiring a Nutritionist but once the person start working in the position it seems the end of creativity of a chef. We have to work like programmed machines.
It’s because of few reasons. Limited working hours, no kitchen help, limited budget.
To my understanding, children come to care to explore and learn. The food plays very similar role in their development. They explore different types of cuisine, different texture, smell, taste and most of all the nutritional value which is required to crest a thriving child.
To design a menu for child care is practically not an easy job where we have to consider a lot of factors and of-course, various dietary requirements, allergies and many more. It is a big responsibility but cooks and chefs in child care are considered not so important. That can also be concluded on the basis of pay rate of a chef in this industry.
Why I am still in this industry if I don’t like these many things?
Because, I am a father of young child and I understand the importance of proper meal. I understand the expectation of parents when they are sending their children to care .

I just want to keep doing good deed with honesty and passion in the hope that some day the industry will value the child care chefs.

Mchan

Re: Childcare Cooks

Post by Mchan » Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:23 pm

I felt the same situation when i worked for a very big childcare. It was a total chaos, and it is unbelievable that they expected you to cook for more than 100 kids with so many dietary requirement, and they still expected you to do the kitchen hand by yourself as not everyday there was kitchen hand to assist me. I also regularly spend my own spare time at home doing seasonal menu and food order list, which is not an easy job at all as there are so many nutritional guidelines and allergy guidelines.
I didn't even have time to have a proper lunch, lunch while I worked, even rushing to have a toilet break as I needed to catch the time to finish cooking for lunch and afternoon tea.
Luckily, I managed to escape from this horrible workplace and now I am working for a much smaller family childcare. Dietary requirement is a huge responsibility, and many educators thinks our job is much easier than them, just to cook. You cannot make even a slight mistake in this allergy issue, as a child may die as a result of it.

The industry didn't really value the chef as they think the job role and responsibility pretty much the same as chef in the restaurant, just see the rates they pay in career sites.
But they didn't think there are so many requirements we need to have before even enter this industry, like to have allergen cert, First Aid, CPR, Mandatory reporting, police report etc. All these costs you need to pay before even joining them.

You really need to have a very strong passion to work and survive as a cook in a childcare centre, as monetary compensation is barely there.