Bedding situation

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Miss T

Bedding situation

Post by Miss T » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:56 pm

Hi, would love some advice on this bedding situation and if theres regulations against it etc.

So with the beds, it appears to be chaotic when we transition from outdoor to indoor. The center is small, its combined 2-5 yr olds. Children come in from outside get there sheets from lockers and sit on the mat while staff quickly put beds out. Children then get told which beds there on. Then theres children who can put sheets on and many that cant do, so staff then assist them we are 3 staff- 1 goes into kitchen and prepares lunch and the 1 other helps children, and the other is the on and off the floor director.

I've seen previously centers that keep the full time kids bed made for the week. I suggested it and there fine with it, but a staff member said thats not allowed- so is that true?

Also the sheets are kept in the lockers at the moment, things fall out constantly which is frustrating lol, How much more frustrating would it be for the child? I've seen many places have a sheet bucket. Sheets are separated into environmental bags.

I would like to have a better flow of the day between 12-1230pm...

How do you do it at your service? :P

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Bedding situation

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:35 pm

Bedding has to be taken off the beds each day and beds cleaned.
Everywhere I have worked sleep sheets are kept in a separate hamper or large plastic container

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:17 am

At my last centre, it was hard to find a right way to get the beds done... Before lunch we were also outside, before transitioning inside to have lunch. We tried many ways to find the right solution.. We tried going inside half an hour early before lunch to get the beds made up but this was completely chaotic. We also tried getting staff members to make up the beds beforehand. This didn't work as well because it didn't cover ratio and it doesn't promote a child's self help skills if staff were the ones making up the beds. In the end, while the children were playing outside, a staff member would take a group of children inside to make up the beds before lunch itself. By doing it this way worked for us as we were still in ratio by having all staff outside except the one making up the beds with the group of children. This was easier as we were able to transition straight into lunch from outside etc.

The children brought in their sheets in their own bag which was labelled with their name and put into a hamper basket. However, when management came to our centre they said we shouldn't be doing it this way as it could spread infections or something along those lines?? Anyway, we had to keep each child's sheets in their locker as well. I suggest if you have any room on a wall inside, install hooks and get the children to hang their sleep bag up on the hooks...

Anyway that's how we did it,

:geek:,
L.A

Angel mist

Post by Angel mist » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:51 am

Hi all,
Just wondering exactly what legally applies to Rest Time, the situation with the making of beds, bed bags storage and layout of beds in relation to each other.
I think that my Centre needs to be updated in all these areas.
Many thanks..

Angel mist

Post by Angel mist » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:09 pm

Hi LA,
I saw your reply somewhere here but can't find it at the moment.
Thank you for your reply and advice, covering all the topics that I mentioned.
At my centre my input about the beds being arranged in a circle and for the children to make their own beds is not really beimg accepted but we can only try a as frustrating as things can be at times.
Many thanks
Sally

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:04 pm

Angel mist wrote:Hi all,
Just wondering exactly what legally applies to Rest Time, the situation with the making of beds, bed bags storage and layout of beds in relation to each other.
think that my Centre needs to be updated in all these areas.
Many thanks..
I got some info on this for you...
Rest mats Cleaning and Storage:

- preferably parents should bring individual child’s bedding (mats and covers) each day,
- if vinyl sided mats or their covers are soiled, clean with neutral detergent and water
- wash covers routinely, at least once a week
- vinyl sided mats stored in the centre should be routinely cleaned, at least once a week, with neutral detergent and water if soiled,
- if cloth surfaces are soiled, wash with neutral detergent and water.
- store mats so that the clean surfaces are not contaminated with unclean surfaces
- preferably send individual child’s linen,mattress and rest mat covers home with the family for washing each day
- ensure all bedding, used by the child or staff member are washed and dried in the sun, or give the child’s clothes to the family to wash.

Sleep and Rest (National Regs)

An Approved Service must take reasonable steps to ensure that children’s needs for sleep and rest are met, having regard to each child’s age, development and needs.

While many services implement planned ‘rest periods’ for young children, routines and environments should also be flexible enough to support children who do not require a sleep and those who seek rest and relaxation throughout the day.

Hope this helps,

L.A

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:34 pm

Just wanted to add in relation to distance of beds apart is as follows:
Beds should be sufficient distance apart, generally it is recommended that there be an unobstructed gap, end to end and side to side, of at least 70 cm between beds, for the following reasons:

− to ensure ease of access for adults and children
− to minimise risk of cross infection
− to aid exit in case of emergency

L.A