Getting daughter to fasten her jacket up?

Parenting FAQs, parenting issues & concerns, dealing with behaviour problems, disciplining children, sleeping problems, teaching children, pregnancy and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
User avatar
Lorina
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 12455
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:36 am

Re: Getting daughter to fasten her jacket up?

Post by Lorina » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:17 am

You did the right thing, making her put her jacket on...Maybe she forgot because she was so busy with her friends and it didn't cross her mind to wear it.. Just have a chat with her about it once again about how you expect her to wear her jacket while she is outside...

:geek:,
Lorina
Check out our Resources: Articles | Activities | Printables & Worksheets | EYLF Templates
Documentation App for Educators: Appsessment - Childcare App


Scottish Joan
Helper
Helper
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:19 pm

Re: Getting daughter to fasten her jacket up?

Post by Scottish Joan » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:25 pm

She did the same thing after School today, she came out of School with no jacket so I took her bag off her back and took the jacket from her bag and put it on her but she moaned "its dirty, there is mud on the sleeves" but I said "I know, I can see that but its cold so you'll just have to put up with it unfortunately" then zipped it up.

I did have a chat with her and explained a couple of things with her, 1) Even though the jacket was dirty it still should have been on and 2) due to fact its dirty, she needs to wear a different jacket until the favourite school one is washed/dried.

Scottish Joan
Helper
Helper
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:19 pm

Re: Getting daughter to fasten her jacket up?

Post by Scottish Joan » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:56 am

I am at the stage where she wont wear a jacket, even on days like today when it was chucking it down with rain :-(.

HELP lol?

User avatar
linsaa fdc
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Posts: 357
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 12:42 pm

Re: Getting daughter to fasten her jacket up?

Post by linsaa fdc » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:35 pm

Hi Joan,
Rhona is another year older now and you still have the jacket problem :shock: .
Maybe she needs some serious consequences, she is old enough to know the reason why she has to wear one and sometimes they just have to do what they are asked/told to do.
We have been taking our 6yo grandson to school and his teacher has a behaviour chart on the wall, the top of the chart is outstanding....great job.. middle is good day...ready to listen... and the bottom of the chart is CONSEQUENCES and the children really dread getting down to that, maybe try something along those lines, a visual reminder and follow through when you do end up at consequences. Under consequences write what they will be so she knows as she goes down the chart for not doing what you have asked her to do..... wear her jacket..... and what to expect.Always start each day at the top of the chart. Its time she realises we all have to do things in life that we don't want to do but have to do it anyway, this is one of those things for her.

Laiorwyn
Participator
Participator
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:41 pm

Re: Getting daughter to fasten her jacket up?

Post by Laiorwyn » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:28 pm

How heavy is the jacket? Some kids don't feel the cold very much. I am surprised she's still objecting, but maybe trying a lighter, water resistant jacket or shirt, or even a well fitting poncho might help. I remember not thinking much about the rain - even at 10 I'd go out into the driveway to play in the mud puddles on a cold day, just wearing shorts and a singlet. Never got sick from that - only seemed to get sick from being in the classroom with the sick kids that weren't sick enough to stay home yet.
What I do remember about the raincoat I had at the time was it was big, hot, uncomfortable and made play difficult to enjoy. I figured it was worth getting sick if I "forgot" to wear it.
At any rate, that's what popped into mind when you said she was still not wearing it. If you havent yet, try a jacket she likes at the store, or alter a rain coat to match her favourite theme (maybe an elsa patch if she likes frozen? or other decorations she likes).
I liked her argument that she didn't want to wear it because the sleeves were muddy, too. I would probably say "Well, lets get a wipe and you can brush it off!" The kids here know how to brush off their own clothes. No getting out of wearing shoes because they're dirty! Same goes for clothing.

Scottish Joan
Helper
Helper
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:19 pm

Re: Getting daughter to fasten her jacket up?

Post by Scottish Joan » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:35 am

Laiorwyn wrote:How heavy is the jacket? Some kids don't feel the cold very much. I am surprised she's still objecting, but maybe trying a lighter, water resistant jacket or shirt, or even a well fitting poncho might help. I remember not thinking much about the rain - even at 10 I'd go out into the driveway to play in the mud puddles on a cold day, just wearing shorts and a singlet. Never got sick from that - only seemed to get sick from being in the classroom with the sick kids that weren't sick enough to stay home yet.
What I do remember about the raincoat I had at the time was it was big, hot, uncomfortable and made play difficult to enjoy. I figured it was worth getting sick if I "forgot" to wear it.
At any rate, that's what popped into mind when you said she was still not wearing it. If you havent yet, try a jacket she likes at the store, or alter a rain coat to match her favourite theme (maybe an elsa patch if she likes frozen? or other decorations she likes).
I liked her argument that she didn't want to wear it because the sleeves were muddy, too. I would probably say "Well, lets get a wipe and you can brush it off!" The kids here know how to brush off their own clothes. No getting out of wearing shoes because they're dirty! Same goes for clothing.
The jacket is not light but not heavy either, she likes it because its her favourite colour plus "warm and comfortable", plus its one she chose herself.

Anyway, the no jacket stage of her life only lasted a couple of days because she went outside for lunch whilst at School and was freezing/soaked by time she got back into the class so the teacher "advised" her to ALWAYS wear a jacket when weather is unpleasant.

Apart from today, we have had rain everyday this week so she has zipped her jacket, even today.

Scottish Joan
Helper
Helper
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:19 pm

Re: Getting daughter to fasten her jacket up?

Post by Scottish Joan » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:22 am

Rhona is now 9 and is getting bad behaved which is making me frustrated, she answers me back and takes bad temper tantrums when I punish her :( :(.

If its raining, I still ask her to zip up her jacket but she just tells me NO, I'm old enough to decide if I need my coat zipped up ", so me or the teacher do it ourselves but she moans " your embarrassing me" but we just say "if you did as we asked then we wouldn't embarrass you, we just want you suitably clothed in this bad weather so leave it zipped otherwise we keep on zipping it up, embarrassing you more".

Laiorwyn
Participator
Participator
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:41 pm

Re: Getting daughter to fasten her jacket up?

Post by Laiorwyn » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:00 pm

Have you had a look into the "positive parenting" website? It may help you come up with some good solutions.

Scottish Joan
Helper
Helper
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:19 pm

Re: Getting daughter to fasten her jacket up?

Post by Scottish Joan » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:02 am

Laiorwyn wrote:Have you had a look into the "positive parenting" website? It may help you come up with some good solutions.
There is nothing on there :( :(.

I think its just her growing up and developing an attitude lol.

User avatar
linsaa fdc
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Posts: 357
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 12:42 pm

Re: Getting daughter to fasten her jacket up?

Post by linsaa fdc » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:39 am

What is the worst thing that can happen if she doesn't do up her jacket.......get sick!!!!
Maybe Rhona needs to find out for herself what happens and let her know that if she gets sick from not wearing it zipped up there are consequences and she will still be going to school.
Maybe Joan she is just too hot with it done up..... hard to believe sometimes when its cold outside and I can't even imagine how cold it is for you over there, but when I am rugged up and literally frozen and my grandson is running around in a shirt and undies so warm that he cuddles up to me to warm me up and to cool himself down.... maybe she is just too warm with it zipped.

Scottish Joan
Helper
Helper
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:19 pm

Re: Getting daughter to fasten her jacket up?

Post by Scottish Joan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:58 am

linsaa fdc wrote:What is the worst thing that can happen if she doesn't do up her jacket.......get sick!!!!
Maybe Rhona needs to find out for herself what happens and let her know that if she gets sick from not wearing it zipped up there are consequences and she will still be going to school.
Maybe Joan she is just too hot with it done up..... hard to believe sometimes when its cold outside and I can't even imagine how cold it is for you over there, but when I am rugged up and literally frozen and my grandson is running around in a shirt and undies so warm that he cuddles up to me to warm me up and to cool himself down.... maybe she is just too warm with it zipped.
You have changed your tune, you were on my side before, now your siding with Rhona.

I understand that she may be warm but her having soaking clothes means more washing for me, if its zipped then it means dry clothes which means less washing.

And regarding the school, the teacher says that if kids don't zip up then they'll come in with uniforms dripping water all over the work so they say, on wet days, kids must zip up and put up hoods when its heavy rain if they want to play outside, which Rhona does.

User avatar
linsaa fdc
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Posts: 357
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 12:42 pm

Re: Getting daughter to fasten her jacket up?

Post by linsaa fdc » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:44 pm

Hi Joan,

Not siding with anyone but because this has been a problem for you since April 2015 thought maybe looking at it from another angle might work.
The old saying "if you keep doing what you always do, you will keep getting what you always got"
Running around on wet days and getting drenched is of course not acceptable from anyone's point of view.

Hope you get it sorted eventually

Post Reply