Concerns About Carers In My Child's Room

Parenting FAQs, parenting issues & concerns, dealing with behaviour problems, disciplining children, sleeping problems, teaching children, pregnancy and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
haneia

Concerns About Carers In My Child's Room

Post by haneia » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:08 pm

Hi,

I am a mother of 2 children out of which the elder one is going to a nearby child care center. Its been the 5th month since he started attending the center. He is 3 yrs and 3 months now and is placed in preschooler category.

Before my child started going there, I had been working really hard on his development (despite the 2nd one was on his way) and my son had already learned many things like parts of the body, animals n birds sounds, colours (not just 12, he knew almost all shades) he could make a 16 piece puzzle on his own, alot of nursery rhymes, alphabets, numbers and many more. But there were a few problems as well due to which i was in real hurry to start his preschool. The most important was his speaking skills, he is still speaking the baby language which only I can understand and the second was the social skills, he was a bit shy and not social at all especially with the adults. While placing him in the childcare i did mentioned that these are 2 things I want to be worked on.

After he started, he took one or two weeks to settle down and then he was happy going there, the credit definitely goes to his room incharge Miss L who made him feel comfortable. Then after 2/3 months Miss L had to go for short leave to visit her home country and another lady Miss S joined in (from our own ethnic background). I felt a bit more comfortable that my child might adjust with the change quiet easily. Things were going OK but then my child started refusing to go to the center, and whenever I used to drop him, he didn't want me to leave. It carried on for a couple of weeks but then I had a detailed discussion with Miss L about his attitude and she thought he might need her attention so she started paying attention to him a bit more. Now, for the last month he has started wetting his pants, out of four weeks, he wet his pants three times. He has been toilet trained for the last one year and it had never occurred to me before, not even at nights. This issue is driving me crazy, instead of showing improvements, he is going backwards. I discussed his behavior with some other friends as well having their children attending the same center and they are also facing same kind of problem, their children don't want to attend the center either. My son had been trying to tell me that Miss S has been strict but i kept on ignoring but after this situation and having discussion with other mothers, I believe he was right. Please guide me what should I do. I wanted my child to improve but the facts are on the other side.

Lorina

Re: A few concerns...

Post by Lorina » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:51 pm

Hey Haneia,

I'm sorry to hear about your situation! I'm a childcare professional myself and I have heard a few stories from parents similar to yours where at the previous centre their child were attending it seems like their child was going backwards on their development! (This child has now been at the centre for the past 2 months and they are very happy and comfortable, parents are relieved that they changed centers in the end). Now, don't get me wrong I don't think there is any abuse going on, it just may be that the centre is not right for your child and that's the only way your child can express themselves to you! Also, it may be the way your child reacts to all the changes that are going on within the centre with all the new teachers... Have you thought about changing childcare centers?

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:33 pm

I agree with L.A's thoughts here- rather than "abuse" it just might be the Centre is not the right 'fit' for your child. if there are deeper issues with Staff and their methodology it is better to move Centres and address your concerns with a new group of professionals. As a parent, you must trust your instincts and know that at the end of the day You are your child's greatest advocate and You know him best! :)

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:21 pm

Who is in charge of the class Miss L or Miss S?
Seems he was fine with Miss L the issue came when Miss S came on the scene.
If a number of children are showing this kind of behaviour where they do not want to attend childcare anymore etc it obviously is something happening in the classroom that is upsetting the children. Firstly I would get the other parents and go and speak to the Director of the centre and try and find out what and why this is happening.
If it cannot be resolved then I would be finding somewhere else to place your child where your child can feel safe, secure and happy

StaffParent

Post by StaffParent » Fri May 04, 2012 9:35 pm

random question :) i have just joined how do i start a new topic ? thanks in advance :-)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri May 04, 2012 9:59 pm

Here are a few links that will get you started:

1) how to create a topic: 
http://www.aussiechildcarenetwork.com/f ... c-t56.html

2) where to post what: 
http://www.aussiechildcarenetwork.com/f ... -t555.html

More info:  
http://www.aussiechildcarenetwork.com/forum-features/