Work effectively w/ Aboriginal & or Torres Strait Islander People

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Charina

Work effectively w/ Aboriginal & or Torres Strait Islander People

Post by Charina » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:04 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: LA017470 Culture Cluster
Your Assignment Type: Standard Question
Currently Working in Childcare? No
Your knowledge: Beginner

Your Question?
Task 3: Reflelction and connecting with own community
You will need to consult with appropriate persons to obtain knowledge of local cultural groups to complete this next task. State the name and contact of who you consulted in the Indigenous community to answer the following questions. Before you contact this person or organisation describe how you will show respect/protocol.
Respectful consideration:
Name:
What is the name of your communities' local Indigenous people?
What language is spoken or was once spoken by this group?
What historical issues relating to the Aboriginal and or Torres Strait Islander people occurred in this community?
What historical issues relating to the occurred in this community.

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
There are three tasks to be done in this cluster. I have done the first two tasks but I got stuck to this.

Description and Message:
Can somebody help me in this task? Do you know any website or organisation that I could contact?
Your help will surely be appreciated. Thanks.

Lorina

Re: Work effectively w/ Aboriginal & or Torres Strait Islander People

Post by Lorina » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:34 pm

I found this in Wikipedia... It gives all the info for your questions except contact details...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuringgai
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ ... roup_names

Hope this help,

:geek:,
L.A

Charina

Post by Charina » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:53 pm

Thanks L.A. I will check out the sites that you've suggested. :) Charina

Robby

Post by Robby » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:39 pm

Hi Ladies,
I'm upto this assessment too but I have no idea how to answer task 2.
I am attaching it. please help me i don't even know what to research.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:12 am

Robby,

I'm giving you a few sites to research the information from. It doesn't seem to complicated. Just provide information on the points mentioned within the question. Don't forget to reference your material:

Impacts Of Settlement

Early Settlement In Australia

Resources On Aboriginal Communities

Hope this helps,

L.A

Robby

Post by Robby » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:10 pm

Hey Lorina,
after reading the links you shared this is my answer so far. am i on the right track?

Task 2: Historical impact on families today

1) In one to two typed A4 pages of Arial font size 10, discuss the impact European settlement, and policies and practices since then, have had on Aboriginal and Torres Strait people and families in regards to:
A. Family Structure (ensure you discuss the short and long term effects of Stolen generation)
B. Health and well being
C. Self-determination
D. Loss of culture/ language/ land/ kinship
E. Education and employment

The European settlement had a huge devastating impact on Australia’s indigenous Australians. They were exposed to new diseases and violent conflict resulting in a very vast number of deaths. Even the small percentage of aboriginals that weren’t killed was still affected and so were their future generations forever and ever. The aboriginal people developed their own way of life true to their spiritual beliefs of the Dream-time. A native institute was set up in 1814 to educate aboriginal kids the European way. Aboriginals were forced to wear clothes and to attend church completely going against their beliefs, By 1930 Indigenous Australians were forced to have the same values and beliefs and to live the same way as white Australians, this was called Assimilation. This led to many children being taken away from their families and put into white foster homes; this was known as the stolen generation.

A. The traditional structure of Indigenous society is based on extended family groups, which follow a kinship system that sets out how all members are related and their position in the community. Traditional family structures are still evident in the organisation of modern, urban Indigenous families. Traditional Indigenous family groups follow the ‘hearth’ group system, where an extended family group shares the proceeds of a hunt and the same camp fire – in other words, an extended family lives together. Closest relatives are those related by blood or marriage, but a spiritual relationship or a connection with a language group may be acknowledged as part of the kinship structure.
Since European settlement, Indigenous people have married of non-Indigenous people but Indigenous beliefs, customs and kinship systems often remain as a strong part of the family’s life even if only one parent is Indigenous.
Short and long term effects of stolen generation include:
 Lifelong search for their parents
Suicide.
Loneliness, Low self-esteem and feelings of worthlessness, Depression or other mental illnesses
Difficulties parenting or filling communal role
Violence, Criminal offenses, legal problems
Loss of cultural affiliation, Mistrusting everyone
Unhealthy lifestyle - shorter lifespan
Difficulties to find their religious beliefs, because often they have been brought to many different missions where they were exposed to various denominations. Others feel a strong indoctrination of the belief system they learned. Many traditionally oriented people don’t know their totems which govern many aspects of their lives, for example whom they can marry.

Internal guilt because Stolen Generation members often blame their mothers and fathers for not loving and caring for them, based on incorrect or sparse information supplied by foster parents and government institutions. Many ultimately find out that their parents never stopped trying to reunite with them.

Anguish of searching for their identity. For some, when they are reunited with a parent after many years (sometimes decades), the reunion turns into another perceived hurt and rejection when they find they cannot, or the parent does not want to, bond with them.

Short family tree: Many Aboriginal people in rural and urban areas can’t go further than two generations into their Aboriginal family tree.

Unable to manage relationships because they have never had a role model to learn from. Many relationships are violent and abusive (many abused become abusers).

Intergenerational traumas: Parents pass their traumas on to their children.

B. Before European settlement Indigenous people survived with good health for more than 60,000 years on a diet based on food hunted and gathered from the land, and by following their own health regimes. Food was minimally processed and western products, such as alcohol, were yet to arrive.
Since European settlement the Indigenous population has experienced considerable ill health, caused by introduced diseases, Western foods, drugs and alcohol. Now Indigenous people live (on average) 20 years less than other Australians. Infant deaths are four times higher; hospitalisation three times higher; and adult death rates four times higher.

Heart and liver diseases are more common and diabetes and hepatitis B are widespread. Indigenous babies are born smaller and have less chance of survival, and tend to have more health problems than other babies. The eye disease, glaucoma, is a serious health problem in many communities, and social diseases including alcoholism, petrol sniffing and drug abuse are threatening the physical, emotional, mental and social well-being of Indigenous people throughout the continent. Before European settlement, Indigenous people moved around the country to find food and were lean, tough, fit and free of disease.

C. The Australian Government’s policy of assimilation was not officially abandoned until the federal election in 1972, when, as a direct result of growing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander activism, it was officially replaced with a policy of self-determination – defined as the right of all peoples to ‘freely determine their political status and freely pursue their economic, social and cultural development’
( Article 1 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights at the Australian Human Rights Commission: http://www.hreoc.gov.au/racial_discrimi ... /atsi.html).

Despite these changes, social indicators for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, including health indicators, remain the lowest of all Australian groups. Although the impact of European colonisation on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander ways of life is immense and longstanding, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples have survived and the culture is alive and strong. In line with the concept of self-determination, the active involvement of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in all decision making relating to health matters is fundamental.

D. Since colonisation, most of the original Indigenous languages have been lost. Many languages died when children were taken to missions or institutions and forbidden from speaking their language and made to speak English. The assimilation of Indigenous people into European society and the English language has also led to the loss of Indigenous language. Many Indigenous groups, particularly in regional areas, have developed their own Indigenous English that they use in addition to their group’s language.

The history of forced resettlement on reserves, the placing of many thousands of children in institutions, and the loss of land and culture are evident in the disadvantages still experienced by many Aboriginal people today. Even without forcible removal, Aborigines often had little choice but to ‘come in’ to the cities, rural centres or pastoral stations. The coming together in settlements and missions of many different groups with different languages and customs created new tensions. The availability of Western medical skills, education and technology increased the degree of contact with the outside world and Anglo-Australian ways. The increasing availability of television in rural areas and the advent of satellite communications have added further pressures. Alcohol continues to have a devastating effect. Payments of social service benefits cut across traditional kinship rules. Aborigines seeking education for their children may find that Western education tends to undermine traditional lifestyles and social structures.

In recent times efforts have been made to rectify this and now the beliefs of Indigenous people are respected through government action to return land and sites to their original inhabitants. Heritage and culture make people who they are – how they live, what they believe in and what makes one group of people different from others. Culture develops over time, as it is handed down through the generations over hundreds or thousands of years.

Indigenous people can ensure their culture is kept alive and is passed on to future generations by maintaining traditional practices and beliefs. A range of social, cultural, community services and heritage laws, provided by Local, State and Commonwealth governments, help the wider community preserve and acknowledge Indigenous culture.

I need help for education and employment **

References:
http://pals.daa.wa.gov.au/en/Resources/
https://whitesettlement.wikispaces.com/ ... boriginals
http://www.snaicc.org.au/_uploads/rsfil/02497.pdf

katiekurz

Post by katiekurz » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:24 am

I'm stuck on this question
In one to two typed A4 pages of Arial font size 10, discuss the impact European settlement, and policies and practices since then, have had on Aboriginal and Torres Strait people and families in regards to:

e. education and employment

can someone please help

thank you :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:04 am

katiekurz wrote:I'm stuck on this question
In one to two typed A4 pages of Arial font size 10, discuss the impact European settlement, and policies and practices since then, have had on Aboriginal and Torres Strait people and families in regards to:

e. education and employment

can someone please help

thank you :)

Australia, Aboriginals & White Settlers
Education and Indigenous Survival

Hope this helps,

Lorina

Tay287

Post by Tay287 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:43 pm

I also need help with education and employment. I'm really stuck. I swear I have read everything on the internet :(

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:17 pm

If you read my link above on Education and Indigenous Survival it has some information that you may be able to use...

Lorina

sharan_saini
Participator
Participator

Post by sharan_saini » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:10 pm

Hi Lorina ,

please help me .My question is ;

where and how the student has research culture and history ,the empact of european settlement ,loss of land and the culture of law and kinship.

sharan_saini
Participator
Participator

Post by sharan_saini » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:13 pm

Hi Lorina ,

please help me .My question is ;

where and how the student has research culture and history ,the empact of european settlement ,loss of land and the culture of law and kinship.

blacktaylor846

Post by blacktaylor846 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:12 pm

can somoene please help me

1. The Education and Care Service is working towards developing the cultural competency and understanding of the staff. Briefly describe your cultural identity or identities. Think about how your environment, upbringing or significant events in your life have helped to shape your values and beliefs? (CHCECE001 Topic 1 & 2)
(This task is not going to be shared with a service or used on work placement. It is just for you to understand your own cultural influences..