Why different Diploma assessments by providers?

General discussions on Diploma or Advanced Diploma of Children's Services.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Children Services. Please refer to Diploma Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
iyaree

Why different Diploma assessments by providers?

Post by iyaree » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:33 pm

Is anyone else intigued about the differing assessments that different providers give?
It seems to me that the assessments are so different, 1 provider that I am familiar with in one of the Diploma units the student needed to write down ideas to support pysical development but then another provider the same unit assessment consisits of relativly complex questions and many of them plus case senarios.
In year 12 the students sit the same exam for the subject so why not people do the same assessment for each unit of the diploma regarless of the provider?
I am happy with my provider as I feel that what I am learning through my assessments and ready will help me in the long run but I also feel some providers make it "too easy" to gain the Diploma and we see these people in childcare settings being room leaders.
Just my thoughts.

rosie.
Participator
Participator

Re: Why different Diploma assessments by providers?

Post by rosie. » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:17 pm

Hi iyaree, I've just finished my cert 3 (will do my diploma soon) but I've found the same thing while doing my course online. I suppose the providers just write their own questions/assessment? I'm not sure. It wasn't a problem for me until my last assessment... they had me doing 21 observations of a child. The director at my centre had ever heard of any cert 3 student having to do that... but I suppose it'll help when I come to do Cert 3!
Anyway that's my experience with it :)
Rosie

rosie.
Participator
Participator

Post by rosie. » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:18 pm

Oops I meant it'll help when I come to do my diploma!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:54 pm

Just in the assignment topics posted in this forum you will notice how each assignment questions change for the same module. Some are easier and some are actually quite hard depending on where you are studying. Even TAFE from each state provides different assessments. I think it mainly has to do on whoever is deciding on the course assessments based on each provider (just like UNI).

From what I understand the guidelines are the same and as long as the assessments are covering those then it's OK, that's why questions differ depending on where you are studying. I agree I think with this qualification that all assessments and assignments should be the same. In the end we are getting the same qualification so why not have the same assessments throughout Australia. As I have seen some students have to work harder than others.

:geek:,
L.A

iyaree

Post by iyaree » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:00 pm

Thank you for your thoughts L.A
Well i think it finally has got too much for me. 1 unit with 7 assessments (Approx 10-20 questions each, part a and b, case senarios, presentations, reports etc etc)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:57 am

That's a lot!

I think sometimes it's way too much theory. Yes, it's important to understand child development, policies, regulations, ethics, laws etc but how does making you do presentations and reports etc support your understanding? To me, practical is more important. Providers should cut down on the assessments and offer more practicals. Or at least provide questions hat are relevant and useful!

Don't worry I'm sure you can complete it. Just take it one assignment at a time...

:geek:,
L.A