Studying Diploma while doing Family daycare

General discussions on Diploma or Advanced Diploma of Children's Services.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Children Services. Please refer to Diploma Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
LindyT
Coach
Coach

Studying Diploma while doing Family daycare

Post by LindyT » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:34 pm

I am currently thinking about doing my Diploma.
Ideally I'd like to do it in 12-18 months.

I am interested in hearing from other Family Daycare Educators and their experiences with doing the Diploma.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Studying Diploma while doing Family daycare

Post by fchaudari76 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:58 pm

As you know I am not a FDCer however with your experience can you not RPL a lot of your Diploma units? that would make the 12-18mnth deadline a clinch to meet.
Even without RPLing I am sure you can do it in 12-18 mnths you would just need to be dedicated and make sure you keep on top of the assignments, its totally achievable

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:08 am

Thanks Fefe,

I'm looking into the RPL. It seems that RPLing is almost as much work as actually doing the units. :giggle:

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:14 am

I think it is different from provider to provider, I RPLed both my Cert III and most of my Diploma and it was merely answering questions that my tutor asked me when she came out to see me.
For my Diploma I had to do one essay on theorists on top of the verbal questions and that was 14 units RPLed in 3/4hrs ! not bad eh!
I have heard from other people that RPL-ing asks you to provide evidence of understanding the units so like you said ends up being more work than the units, however like I said I just did mine all verbally so was quick and easy.
Ask if you can do it that way as it would be easy and quicker.
Failing this way of doing it then yes doing the actual units would be the way to go, with your experience it is not as if you would have any difficulties anyway.
:)

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:07 am

Thanks Fefe,
I didn't even realise you could do it verbally. I will definitely look into that.
i have not yet signed up with a provider. So this might be one thing I need to ask about.

Thanks again. :clap:

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:15 am

As I was an existing worker it was easier for them to actually come out and observe me at work and then sit down and ask me all the questions they needed to and as I answered she just ticked off my competencies
Easy peasy

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:58 am

Lindy, 

I don't think you will have any problem getting your diploma, you pretty much already know what is required in this industry and you have your own FDC... If only it was as simple as answering a few questions for a degree...lol... I guess that's not gonna happen on my part... :giggle:

Don't sweat it, you should be able to get it over and done with rather quickly! 

:thumbup:,
L.A