Studying Diploma and working in sessional Kinder

General discussions on Diploma or Advanced Diploma of Children's Services.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Children Services. Please refer to Diploma Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
barbg

Studying Diploma and working in sessional Kinder

Post by barbg » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:25 pm

i'm currently studying for my Diploma in Early Childhood and there is a (strong) possibility of my working parttime in sessional Kinder.
Can these hours be counted as my work placement?

My question is can I do a short stint in long care day to fulfill the baby room component? prior to this I was just going to do volunteer placement hours at this sessional kinder and the RTO said I *had* to do my placement in a day care.

thanks in advance, b

Lorina

Re: Studying Diploma and working in sessional Kinder

Post by Lorina » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:23 am

The obvious reason why you need to do your work placement within a LDC is because of the different ages of children. You can get experience working from babies right up until preschoolers. Realistically when working you are able to do your work placement, however this needs to be discussed with the centre director beforehand. In my experience, some directors are happy for working students to fulfil their requirements while working but for others that need to set up experiences, programs, displays etc need to do so in their own time rather than while working which ends up disrupting the room leader (I know right :roll: ). So, it really depends on the centre director. If you do happen to get the job talk to the director and see what they say about it...

:geek:,
L.A

barbg

Post by barbg » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:37 am

hi lorina, thank you for the heads up and for the advice. i'll discuss with the center director and see if she is ok with me counting these hours as work placement hours. i was just under the impression that the school called the shots as to how and where i was able to do my work placement.

the center director and staff are pretty awesome and i will do all i can to minimize the disruption for the diploma schoolwork that i have to do.

after months of rejection letters, i am just so happy for the chance of work!

barbg

Post by barbg » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:33 am

Lorina, I have just called the training organization and they are insisting that i complete my 240hours work placement in a long day care and not in a sessional kinder.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:28 pm

barbg wrote:Lorina, I have just called the training organization and they are insisting that i complete my 240hours work placement in a long day care and not in a sessional kinder.
Yeah, well I guess thy have the last word overall don't they... If that's what your training organization wants then you can't really challenge them on it Unless you can make some sort of arrangement such as half the hours in an LDC and half the hours in your Kindy... Go through your work placement tasks and look at the ones that require you to complete with the younger children and the older ones. You can tell your training provider you will complete the necessary tasks with the younger ones and the remaining with the older ones within your Kindy. It's a last shot of a compromise I guess...

L.A

barbg

Post by barbg » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:15 pm

hi lorina, i will do that, and again, thank you so very much!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:39 am

Hey how did it go? Are you able to complete your hours at your Kindy?

L.A

barbg

Post by barbg » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:05 am

hi lorina, they are still discussing the issue and will get back to me early next week.
i'll update as soon as i hear from them.

barbg

Post by barbg » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:12 pm

hi lorina

good news, i'm able to complete a third of my placement hours at the kinder. the RTO have been very accommodating and i'm rapt with the outcome. thank you so much for your advice and help.

blessings for the upcoming festive season.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:12 am

Woohoo! That's fantastic news! Gosh you must be so relieved!! That's awesome! :thumbup:

Seasons Greetings to you too!

L.A