Science Learning Centre

General discussions on Diploma or Advanced Diploma of Children's Services.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Children Services. Please refer to Diploma Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
JNP
Contributor
Contributor

Science Learning Centre

Post by JNP » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:49 pm

I know this question has been asked before but I can't see the responses for some reason. Can someone please give me some ideas on creating a science learning centre on things that fly eg: bugs, birds.
Thank you all so much I really appreciate any help.

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Re: Science Learning Centre

Post by cathiek » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:20 pm

Hi JNP
Just typed you a response and accidentally deleted it AARGHH!
Anyway for a science learning centre, you could have small plastic bugs with magnifying glasses so chn can look closely at them. They could sort the bugs into flying and nonflying.
Pictures and flash cards showing bugs would be good too.
If it doesnt have to be limited to bugs - you could do the same with transport. Using toy cars/planes etc.
Chn could make a craft related to this (bumblebee using yellow balloons/black strips/box construction car etc..)
Show the life cycle of a butterfly. Get the kids to put it in correct order.
You could have all these things on a table with small tree branches on them. the kids could put the flying things in the trees and the others on the ground.
Hope this helps a bit.
CAthiek

JNP
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JNP » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:53 pm

Hi CAthiek,
Thank you so much for your help regarding the Science Learning Centre. It was really helpful, I will definately use some of those ideas. Do you have any ideas on a childrens story book, I have to write and illustrate it. I think it will have to be about a stick person., because that's all I can draw...I am currently doing placement at a 4 year old kindergarten for my diploma course. I am about a year in.. one more to go.. I have done really well in the end of unit assessments for the course but am struggling a bit with the hands on stuff.
Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.
Jules(JNP)

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Post by cathiek » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:58 pm

Hi Jules

Straight away when I think about making a book for a Kindy child - Ithink of using sensory things (cotton wool/cellophane/textured paper etc). you could write something about a child who goes for a walk and looks at a cloud (daw a cloud shape and glue on cotton wool), he then looked into a pond (stick blue cello over a circle you have drawn for a pond), he then walked into the forest (glue rough paper like corrugated or sandpaper in a tree shape) He saw a duck (glue feathers on a bird shape) and then he saw his house (could use squares of coloured paper as bricks) then he was so tired he went to bed (material on a bed shape). this gives the child the opportunity to touch the page as well as listen to the story.
This was only a quick story I made up to give you an example, I am sure you can make it much better but I hope it gives you an idea.
Hope this helps
CAthie

JNP
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JNP » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:37 am

Thanks CAthie, Thats a great book idea, I'm so happy I signed up for this forum, you have helped me so much. I think I am overthinking things...and stressing myself out....
Thanks again
Jules xx

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Post by cathiek » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:50 pm

You are welcome Jules - and you know what - I think we are all guilty of over-thinking things sometimes. I often say that to my assistant who is also studying. Just remember - your lecturers aren't trying to trick you - they want you to do well.
It is great that we have a place like this forum to share ideas.
Good luck with your assignment.
Cathiek

Nedu
Participator
Participator

Post by Nedu » Sun May 31, 2015 2:05 pm

Hello everyone,

Is anyone able to help me with this question, i'm stuck.
Create a sciene learing centre for toddler 2-3 yrs or preshool 3-4yrsThings that fly( this wil alow exploration of wide range of bug, birds,bat and their habitant
To complete this task
A.plane a learning centre
i. identify the specifc learnin outcomes and link to Early years learing framework, providing a rationale for your choices.
ii. list the resources you will use, including materials, reference books, stories, songs, IT, websites
iii. explaine how the learning centre will be set up e.g table against wall to display posters, artificial grass on table, use book shelf to display resources like a diorama
iv. identify key vocabulary( words, phrases) you could use and questions you could ask to promote childre's learning.

JNP
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JNP » Sun May 31, 2015 3:41 pm

Hi Nedu, have you read the previous posts, they may give you some ideas..
regards
Jules.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:55 am

Nedu wrote:Hello everyone,

Is anyone able to help me with this question, i'm stuck.
Create a sciene learing centre for toddler 2-3 yrs or preshool 3-4yrsThings that fly( this wil alow exploration of wide range of bug, birds,bat and their habitant
To complete this task
A.plane a learning centre
i. identify the specifc learnin outcomes and link to Early years learing framework, providing a rationale for your choices.
ii. list the resources you will use, including materials, reference books, stories, songs, IT, websites
iii. explaine how the learning centre will be set up e.g table against wall to display posters, artificial grass on table, use book shelf to display resources like a diorama
iv. identify key vocabulary( words, phrases) you could use and questions you could ask to promote childre's learning.
You will need to create new topic in the assignment forum with your response in order to receive support.

:geek:,
Lorina