Pay Rates

General discussions on Diploma or Advanced Diploma of Children's Services.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Children Services. Please refer to Diploma Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
artbliss

Pay Rates

Post by artbliss » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:24 pm

I work as a director in a long day care centre 160 place Centre
We employ 2 ECT ....
my question is what do other feel about ECT being paid more than the director is this fair
I understand the education and expense involved in gaining the qualifications, my point is work load responsibility, basically my name is on the door if the department walk in I am the ECT's boss.... in any other company this wouldnt happen ??

law92
Helper
Helper

Re: Pay Rates

Post by law92 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:12 pm

I think it depends on what qualifications the director has. If they've only got a diploma/advanced diploma, I absolutely think it's fair that they get paid differently to an ECT who has sacrificed 4 years of their life in gaining their degree. If you have a higher qualification, you are considered to have more skills, which is why ECTs are paid more. It's the same for group leaders and assistants - group leaders are more qualified, therefore they get paid more.
However, if the director also has a degree, they should be getting paid more accordingly.
I guess that's just one of the pitfalls of the child care industry. Experience is not as widely recognised as it should be these days, instead everything goes on qualifications.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:16 am

I completely understand that an ECT is a higher qualification than a Diploma or advanced Diploma however if you are a Centre Director responsible for everything in and at the centre you should be paid more than an ECT based on your job position rather than qualification even if you only have a Diploma or advanced Diploma. What's the point of taking on such a big responsibility if you got nothing to show for it... It's ridiculous how much ECT's are getting paid at some centre just because of their degree...

:geek:,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:27 am

Unfortunately ECTs are more likely to negotiate better pay or more hols etc however they do have a degree and pay should reflect the level of their qualification the same way that a Director with a degree would earn more than an ECT, most places I worked the ECTs were on less pay than the Directors