Just started Diploma, finding it hard to get into a routine.

General discussions on Diploma or Advanced Diploma of Children's Services.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Children Services. Please refer to Diploma Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
Alana86

Just started Diploma, finding it hard to get into a routine.

Post by Alana86 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:50 am

Hi there,

I've started my Diploma around 4 weeks ago. I am on my first unit and making my way through completing the tasks.
My issue is that I am feeling unsure of where to research and find information to assist me. The way the course is set out is all online and all the information and websites and included which is fine. I find that trying to go back and forth trying to find information on websites and so on is not working so well for me. I just wish there were text books that I knew the information would be available to me in one book. Can anyone suggest some good ways for research, finding the information I need etc... I hope this makes sense. I do understand that there are times when websites and online research is vital.

Thanks
Alana

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Re: Just started Diploma, finding it hard to get into a routine.

Post by linsaa fdc » Fri May 01, 2015 12:47 pm

Hi Alana86,
Congrats on starting your study. Once you sort out what system works for you you will be fine. I am the type of person that needs things on paper, so when I was doing mine I printed the pages of the websites and had them all laid out in front of me with highlights of the information I wanted. I found having pages bookmarked on my laptop and switching from one window to another too confusing. Yes I had a lot of printing but it worked for me, then I filed the pages into a folder with tabs so I had the information ready.....with the referrances of where I got the info...... if I needed to refer to them for another subject. There are also textbooks, we used them a few years ago, do they recommend you getting them these days?
Good luck
Linsaa fdc :wave:

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri May 01, 2015 6:16 pm

Hi Alana,

Usually your course will prescribe textbooks that you may need in order to complete some of your modules for e.g. "Birth to Big School". When purchase required text books you should be able to find some of the information you need however using the internet to search for information is probably the best option since it doesn't cost you anything. Some of the textbooks are very expensive!

When researching online it's good to try and use specific to find information that you require otherwise it's going to take you longer. For example if you are searching for policies and procedures you could use the following keyword "medication policy childcare Australia (depending on what policy you're after) etc." Or "staff orientation in childcare" etc. So, when searching online try and be specific to try and that way it will take you less time finding the info you need. Also, almost everything is available on the net. So, you should be able to find information for most of your questions.

When finding information, it's good to use "notepad", "word" or "one note" (my fave) from your computer. Just copy and paste the relevant information from the website to one of the applications that will support your response along with the site address for reference. Then you can use this information for reference. It's impossible to remember so much info from so many sites so it's good to take notes of relevant info and you can do this like I said above, print pages like Linsaa suggested or handwrite the notes down in a blank book.

You could also use two windows on your one computer screen and this is helpful when you're reading information and wanting to take notes in "word" or "one note" etc. To do this, minimise your browser so it fits into one half of the screen then you can open your "word" and minimise so it fits into the other half of the screen and you can use this simultaneously. This really helps me when researching information as it's very easy for me to make notes as I read instead of going back and forth between tabs and notepad. Hope this makes sense!

I know everything seems a little confusing and up in the air but you will get into the swing of things and it will get easier.

Good Luck and Im here to help,

:geek:,
Lorina

Alana86

Post by Alana86 » Tue May 05, 2015 8:00 pm

Thank you so much for the help and support. ;)