Help what to study cert or diploma

General discussions on Diploma or Advanced Diploma of Children's Services.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Children Services. Please refer to Diploma Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
3Js

Help what to study cert or diploma

Post by 3Js » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:10 am

Hi i am a mother of two toddlers. Working for 11yrs in finance fulltime. Now i am thinking of shifting to early childhood career. Want to Teach and look after toddlers.would like to know my options help me decide please. Will study online while working fulltime. Wanted to shift immediately. I can also work part tym finance and part time childcare. Want to get out the corporate work fast.
-what to study cert or diploma
- where to study? Inquired with accco and open colleges. Other options?
- can i be elig to government fund? Need to be working in chidcare to be elig?
- if i study cert first i can work immediately while studying, then study diploma so i can be elig to govt funded ? can i work while studying diploma as well? which option is cheaper?
Thank you

Lorina

Re: Help what to study cert or diploma

Post by Lorina » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:03 am

Welcome to the Industry!

If you are wanting to complete the Diploma of Children's Services then it's probably best to start off with that itself. You can enrol in the Diploma without having to complete the certificate 3 course first like previously. The difference is with a Diploma qualification you will get a higher job position (room leader) than a cert 3 qualified (assistant). So, if you are wanting more responsibility and higher position, you should start the Diploma course.

Studying online is a good option because as long as you got internet access you can pretty much complete your assignments. You will still need to complete practical hours within a childcare centre for work placement. So, depending on which institute you study with placement will either be organised for you or you will need to find your own... You can ask about that when deciding which institute to go with...

Deciding where to study is a tough call. There are many institutes offering the Diploma course so you just need to pick one that suits your needs and budget. Some may be more costly than others... Maybe you can pick a few then send off some questions and the one that suits your needs go with them.

Diploma of Children's Services Online Courses

Also, it doesn't matter where you study because all institutes are similar and you will be working towards the same objective. The only thing that may differ is assignment questions.

In regards to government funding are you referring to Centrelink payments? Depending on your circumstances and eligibility the government may be able to provide you with financial assistance. You will need to contact them for more info:

Payment for Students

Hopefully I've answered all your questions,

:geek:,
L.A

3Js

Post by 3Js » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:40 pm

Thank u so much

rclohesy

Post by rclohesy » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:38 pm

Can I add a question onto this post as it may relate....I am wanting to enrol at Open Colleges asap as I want to start working as soon as I can. I have my degree in primary education but no experience in early childhood. I wanted to do the new diploma that I understand has the cert III embedded as eventually I want to become room leader or a kindergarten teacher. When talking to the careers advisor at open colleges they told me that I would be better off doing my Cert III as I can no longer work before completing my qualification and I will finish quicker and can later on get credit transfers for the 14 units that cross over with the Cert III & Dip and complete of the diploma later on. I am just wondering if this information and advice is all correct or is this open colleges wanting to get me to complete 2 separate courses and pay more money????
Thanks
Rachel