Doing a Diploma, looking towards work experience and a paid position

General discussions on Diploma or Advanced Diploma of Children's Services.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Children Services. Please refer to Diploma Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
Angel127

Doing a Diploma, looking towards work experience and a paid position

Post by Angel127 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:31 pm

Hello Educators

This is my first post. I am looking for some advice and to hear other’s experiences, please.

I am currently studying a Diploma of Early Education and care, via distance education. I am at the stage of looking towards work placement and thereafter, a paid position. My biggest concern at the moment, is the hours and rosters in LDC, are not easy to work around, having school aged children of my own. My youngest child, is in kindy next year, 2 full days and 1 half day a week. My husband can start work earlier in the morning, to pick the children up in the afternoon, but it has to be consistent. I don’t have family to help out, so I will have to rely on before and after hours care. My concern is, not so much before hours care, or starting early (myself), but I want to be there for my children after school. I proffer if my children were not in after hours care all afternoon, every day and the fact I will miss out on being there for them. So maybe being able to finished before 4.30pm.

I love working with children and families and have a lot of skills from pervious roles (community services, family support and youth work-working with young parents and their children) I could use in LDC. But I am feeling very discouraged right now.

I have had a look through the child care award and on fair work for information. On the fair work site it says, Employees may be able to put in writing a request for flexible hours with reasonable grounds, after 1 year of employment. But what about being up front about your family, when you are first employed? I would proffer to be upfront from the start, because I want to be as reliable as I can be for my employer and I value accountability. Personally, I have found it to be best practise in most cases, but I don’t know the Early Years Industry that well.

I would love to hear from any Educators that are in a similar situation and how you work it. I know there are a lot of very passionate and experienced Educators out there in a similar situation. Unfortunately not that I know personally. There are probably 100 ideas, I have not even thought of.

Please, any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Lorina

Re: Doing a Diploma, looking towards work experience and a paid position, discouraged because of work hours and family b

Post by Lorina » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:32 pm

Hi!

You may have an option to work part-time which may enable you to finish work before 4:30 or even around that time... Again depending on the centre... In regards to full-time, it usually requires educators to work 8 hours, typically in shifts to cover ratios throughout the day. Some educators who work full-time also do 4 days a week at 10 hours per day and have a rostered day off each week. Which won't work for your situation...

If you are looking to work full time you can try for a preschool setting. Preschool settings (not LDC) typically start at 9:00 am up until 3:30 pm which the children go home. This is probably the best option for you, however, I don't know what the job prospects are like compared to LDC.

So they are a couple of options available...

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Re: Doing a Diploma, looking towards work experience and a paid position, discouraged because of work hours and family b

Post by Lorina » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:35 pm

I would also recommend during your job interviews is to mention up front your hours that you are looking for. It's best to be open about it straight away and try and find a centre that is accommodating to your needs...

It may take some time to find a centre to cater to your needs but if you want to put your family first then take the time to find a centre that can be flexible...

Lorina

Angel127

Post by Angel127 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:34 pm

Thank you Lorina, very much for your advice.

I think during job interviews, I definitely will ask questions like "What does a typical day in this role look like?" And "How does the roster system and shifts work at this centre?" To get an idea.

When would be the best time to approach, the issue I talked about my question? Is it more appropriate to be upfront in job interview or during the orientation process?

Once again, thank you very much

Angel

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:44 pm

Hi Angel,

I would suggest being upfront in the job interview itself... because if they cant accommodate your needs there isn't much point working for them...

Lorina

Angel127

Post by Angel127 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:04 pm

Thank you so much Lorina