Disappointed - New Diploma

General discussions on Diploma or Advanced Diploma of Children's Services.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Children Services. Please refer to Diploma Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
melissa111

Disappointed - New Diploma

Post by melissa111 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:08 pm

Hi

I'm currently not working in childcare and wanted to make a career change. I currently work for state govt. I studied my Cert 3 in Childrens Services in 2012 and successfully completed it. I then thought this year I best get round to finishing the diploma component. Only to be told that the diploma is all changing. I note that a few places are still offering the old course but most places to study are offering the new course. I thought I could enroll in the old course and finish it this year and then get my diploma.

After speaking to seek learning today I'm told this is impossible. Apparently the lady said that if no one can legally graduate from the old diploma after June this year. If you enrol in old diploma you need to finish by June which is impossible. So she said I have to enrol in new Diploma. I feel like I totally wasted my time doing cert 3 cause now I have to start all over again! So disappointed.

Is what this lady told me correct? Does anyone know? I asked her if I could get any credits and she said they will look into that after I enrol. She couldn't tell me on the phone how many credits I would get. She said I'd have to enrol then they would look at it. I need more than a year to finish the diploma as I'm currently working in a totally differnt field and need to use my annual leave to finish the prac components which would probably equate to my 4 weeks annual leave that I need to save up for prac.

Can anyone suggest a good place to study online with in Qld? Has anyone had some outstanding training organisations?

Thanking you for any insight you can give.

Lorina

Re: Disappointed - New Diploma

Post by Lorina » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:38 am

Hi Mely,

I did a little research for you about the new Diploma course being offered. Since you have previously completed your cert 3 you should be able to apply for RPL (recognition of prior learning). Even though you completed the old qualifications I am sure that you will be ale to get credit towards the new Diploma. There will be so many educators in your situation who just finished the old qualification just before the new one has been released. The cert 3 qualification you completed last year is still an approved qualification so don't worry it's not a waste at all! You're a qualified educator! :thumbup:

I would recommend you do the New Diploma because if you do the old qualification instead you will have to do an extra bridging course to complete the new units not available in the old (if this makes sense)....

Also try and do the new Diploma qualification through TAFE because the QLD government has waived the course fee. This basically means you get to complete the course for free! You only pay for a Student Service Fee of about $43 or so which is fantastic but only if you do it through TAFE. TAFE have a lot of options and they also do an online and correspondence courses which is 18 months and offer RPL as well...

I've got more information about this here:

http://www.sunshinecoasttafe.edu.au/cou ... re-53.html

Hopefully this info helps,

:geek:,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:58 am

I found Brisbane North Tafe excellent, i did have a wonderful person who was looking after my RPL etc though

I also say do the new Diploma as LA said you will only have to do bridging courses if you do the old one. The Govt incentive helps and makes it very affordable indeed

tracyck1

Post by tracyck1 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:33 pm

I did the RPL Mapping assignments and now I'm studying the new diploma