Diploma Assesments while not working in a Centre

General discussions on Diploma or Advanced Diploma of Children's Services.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Children Services. Please refer to Diploma Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Diploma Assesments while not working in a Centre

Post by Macoola » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:01 pm

Hey I just got the idea for this post from another forum by someone called Bee. They asked about people doing their diploma without working at a child care centre, the topic ended very quickly before many got to reply, including me. So I just wanted to ask is anyone doing this? I have been for the past 9 months as I was living overseas and unable to work, I asked my course provider if this would be ok and if the course was conducive to my situation, they assured me it was. As it turns out there have only been a small number of assesments I have been able to complete as it seems the course if tailored for people working in child care centres only. Was just wondering if anyone else had similar experiences, or comments to make on this topic?

Thanks Macoola

Lorina

Re: Diploma Assesments while not working in a Centre

Post by Lorina » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:29 pm

When I was doing my diploma I first did all the theory (studying full time) then at the end I finished off all the practical components when I got a job at a centre. Even though I hadn't realistically completed my diploma (as I still had my practical components to complete), the director allowed me to complete it at the centre while I was working (a couple of weeks later).

In regards to assignments while working in childcare I think alot of it seems like you need to be able to work in a childcare to complete them but I don't think it is that necessary. Alot of the scenario based questions are pretty common sense and you can find alot of information on the web itself. Yes, some parts of assignments are hard to complete if you don't work in a centre but I think it's not impossible to complete if you don't work. The only thing that you may find difficult is if you have had no experience at all working in childcare then it can be a little tough.

What types of assignment topics haven't you been able to complete?

:geek:,
L.A

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Macoola » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:59 am

Hey L.A

Thanks for you reply. Yeah I have been able to complete most scenario questions in my assesments, but I also have alot of questions asking me to observe children, read policies and draw diagrams of elements in the centre etc... Maybe if I was in Australia I could drop into centres and do voluntary work but I was overseas and with my visa I was not allowed to work or do voluntary work there. I am back in Aus now and am looking for work to complete the practical side to my assignements. So hopefuly things will be easier now.

Thanks Macoola

CRS16

Post by CRS16 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:40 am

If anyone needs a hand, I currently Teach Diploma of Children's Services and can help with any assessments :)
(Also Cert3 and Advanced Diploma).

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Macoola » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:05 pm

Thanks CRS16

Will keep that in mind thanks heaps.

:)

rsvnyn
Participator
Participator

Post by rsvnyn » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:52 pm

hi
i m too doing my diploma without working in childcare...i feel the theory part quite easy..but in relation to practical...are we as students allowed to plan and implement programs ...and also are we allowed to discuss with parents....just want to know..actually i started my practicum placement and half way through it...i was previously working in a centre as a relief worker after completing my cert 3...any help!!!

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Macoola » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:23 pm

Hi rsvnyn

I know where you are coming from. I now work in a child care centre but only as a casual. I am sure each centre is different but in my case even now I am working in child care I am finding parts of my assessments hard to complete. For instance I am always in different rooms and never know where I will be next so I can't implement my own programs also some of my assessments require I participate in staff meetings but as a casual I don't even get invited to these meetings(these are just some examples). One thing though is my centre is fine with me talking to parents. I must admit though I have found that a lot of my assessments are designed for people already in group leader positions. My advice to you is to show the director, of the centre you are doing your placement at, your practical booklet (if you have one) or just write everything down you are required to do and ask the director which of these will be possible. This is what I did with my boss, and the things she said I couldn't do I told my teacher and she said I can do them as scenario situations instead.

Sorry for going on but I hope this helps

Macoola

rsvnyn
Participator
Participator

Post by rsvnyn » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:40 pm

thanks macoola..sure ...thats a gr8 help!!!then i will try to have talks!!!

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:15 am

Hey,

I have recently finished my cert 3 and started my diploma, I believed it would be a good idea as how the laws are changing next year, and I am finding it hard as I am not working in a child care centre, hoping this course can help me get my foot into the door. It is hard to get a job in childcare in Launceston, well I have found it hard, hopefully doing my diploma will give employers the right idea, that I want to be working in childcare and will do as much training as needed to achieve this dream, even do the early childhood teaching degree. It is where I want to be, I really like kids and hope to have my own someday soon.