Continuing Diploma in America

General discussions on Diploma or Advanced Diploma of Children's Services.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Children Services. Please refer to Diploma Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
Buttercup131313

Continuing Diploma in America

Post by Buttercup131313 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:26 pm

SO I have a question but I don't know which category to put it in, and I thought General Discussion is the best place for it :)

I have a Certificate 3 in child care and I'm currently doing my diploma, my question is that, if I were to move to America and continue my education there, will my cert 3 be credited? Or even a slight chance that it will? I know that my qualification is only for Australia, so I won't even bother asking about that, but do you think my units will be credited? Because I will finish my diploma in December but there's a chance that I won't be able to finish it anymore as I will be moving in the middle of the year... So I was just wondering... :)

Thanks!

PS: I am doing my research about it but so far it's all very vague
Last edited by Lorina on Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited topic heading & moved topic from General Discussion.

Lorina

Re: Continuing Diploma in America

Post by Lorina » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:31 pm

I'm pretty sure that even if you do complete your Diploma overseas it should be still credited... If you are completing your Diploma online or through correspondence it is a lot easier to continue it while your overseas. However, if you're doing it through TAFE you will probably need to organize with them how it will possible to send each assignment back and forth. The only thing that may be a problem is the work placement units which you may need to complete in order to finish your Diploma. Since it is an Australian qualification you will need to complete work placement here itself... Maybe you can complete placement here before you go, so all you have left to do is the modules....

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

Buttercup131313

Post by Buttercup131313 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:55 pm

Thanks for responding!
I'm actually doing my placement next month and I'm gonna do it through my midtrem break so I should be finished by the end of July, I'll ask my school about it and hopefully they can help me with it, or at least be able to let me know that I don't need to do cert 3 again over in the US.

Thanks again L.A!

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:46 pm

Honestly I am not sure if the qualification requirement in America works similar to the way it works in Australia for early childhood studies. I think they have like a national level diploma or something in Childcare Learning and Development. The best people to ask would be some educational institution in America. Just pick a few and send them an email and see what they say. I also dont know if you are going to be able to transfer your on-going diploma. If the units are different in America, then I am not sure how they will work out the exemptions. Also you can check if its best to complete your diploma and then go there. In that case, you need to find out if the Australian qualification will be accepted to work there. Most likely you might need to do a bridging course in America when you have overseas qualifications in childcare in order to be able to work there or something. I am not sure.. If you are able to do a bridging course or if they recognize your Australian diploma education, then maybe you should think about completing your diploma here in Australia before you leave. This will also be useful if you do decide to return back to Australia in the future and want to work in childcare again.

When you find out more let us know. Its good for others too who might be wondering the same...

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:58 pm

http://www.dieec.udel.edu/early-childhood-credentials

wondering if the info here could help you
Alternatively you can email them and see what they say and if they can provide you with the info you need

Buttercup131313

Post by Buttercup131313 » Mon May 06, 2013 6:28 pm

I did a little research on this but I'm not sure how accurate my understanding is. They have different credentials for every state and from what I read, it's a long and tedious process, it requires both practical and written exams before you can get it, I didn't read anything about accepting international qualifications, but I'm still checking that. After talking to my partner, we decided to wait until I finish the course, and then we'll figure out what to do then. I just thought that it's the most practical thing to do. I am still researching about it when I have my spare times and I'll post anything I find on this thread.

I'm currently reading the link that fefe76 posted, thanks!