cultural safety-Help

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
blonde1977

cultural safety-Help

Post by blonde1977 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:18 pm

List the five (5) principles of cultural safety, and provide an example of each.

1. Principle 1 Reflect on your own practice. Self-Reflection is defined as giving serious thought to one’s own character and action. It is about self-awareness, being aware of how our own beliefs and values, families and community influence how we interact with others. Peer review, feedback from colleagues and clients, debrief, one on one supervision.
2. Principle 2 Minimise the power differentials between yourself and your clients. Balancing the power relationships between yourself and the client. Working alongside them or with them. It can involve negotiating and change to provide a service that doesn’t alienate the client from the organisation. Is it possible for the client to make the decisions? If not, why?
3. Principle 3 Engage in a conversation with the client. Building relationships with the client, talking and engaging with the client. Both Ways Learning including sharing. Local contacts with Indigenous knowledge. Fostering relationships with Indigenous workers, acknowledge them. Cultural mentors. LISTEN….
4. Principle 4 Undertake a process of decolonisation. Learning and acknowledging the role that colonisation and history has impacted on Indigenous people and their lives. Learn the history of the community, people & families. Learn about your own personal history and how it has affected your lives. Learn the history of the system that you work in and the impact it has had on the clients.
5. Principle 5 Treat people regardful of their cultural or individual differences. Do not demean, diminish or disempower others through your action. Diversity between cultures.

than I got this back saying this
Please revisit this question. You need to find the 5 principles of cultural safety.
Hint: Use you eBook The Big Picture, Read the cultural safety section that starts on page 229.

Lorina

Re: cultural safety-Help

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:59 pm

Hi!

Unfortunately, I don't have the book you are after however I found some information that may help:

Cultural Safety Principles

:geek:,
Lorina

blonde1977

Post by blonde1977 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:50 pm

thanks I have already answered the Questions

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:34 pm

Sure thanks!

:geek:,