Children with Autism in Child Care - Survey

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Chocky

Children with Autism in Child Care - Survey

Post by Chocky » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:48 pm

Hello everyone,

For My Diploma of Children’s Services, I need to post a discussion on my TAFE website. This needs to be related to Child Care, and needs to get other students talking. I need to add my reasons for choosing this topic.

The topic I choose is Children with Autism in child care.

I choose this topic as I was a Teacher’s Aide in primary schools before I started working in child care. In primary schools I saw a lack of understanding about Autism from the Teachers, and a lot of frustration from children, staff and families.

When I started working in child care, I saw the same things happening, staff who don’t really understand Autism and are unsure or don’t know what they as Teachers should be doing to assist children with Autism in child care.
I am a Teacher’s Aide, a mother of 3 children, 2 of which have Autism, so I have lived through this. I am now studying my Diploma and my youngest child is in year 3, so I have successfully lived through the child care years, but see other families and centres struggling through this issue every day.
Please if you could take the time to read through the questions below, and answer some of them, it would be greatly appreciated.

1. Do you know what Autism is?
2. Do you know the many different variations of Autism “Autism Spectrum Disorders”
3. Do you feel that your qualifications (please list) have provided you with adequate training and understanding of Autism?
4. Have you had any specific / additional training regarding Autism?
5. Have you ever used Visual Aids with children with Autism?
6. Have you ever uses Sensory Aids with children with Autism?
7. Approx. how many children with Autism have you worked with?
8. Have you ever used or developed any specific/individual programs (time tables, social stories etc…) for children with Autism?
9. Do you believe that children with Autism require additional individualised programming in child care?
10. What role should a child care centre take in regards to children with Autism?
11. Have you ever assisted families through the diagnostic process regarding their child with Autism?
12. At what age do you believe that intervention is needed regarding a possible Autism diagnosis?
13. Do you have any suggestions/comments about working with children with Autism?

Thank you very much, you’re impute is greatly appreciated.

Lorina

Re: Children with Autism in Child Care - Survey

Post by Lorina » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:38 pm

Hi Chocky,

I think you chose an important issue for children and i think at times can be overlooked through inexperience. Just thought I'd share my responses to your questions below.

1. Do you know what Autism is? yes

2. Do you know the many different variations of Autism “Autism Spectrum Disorders” yes although not in great detail

3. Do you feel that your qualifications (please list) have provided you with adequate training and understanding of Autism? diploma. touched briefly on it about characteristics how child behaves etc.

4. Have you had any specific / additional training regarding Autism? no

5. Have you ever used Visual Aids with children with Autism? no

6. Have you ever uses Sensory Aids with children with Autism? no

7. Approx. how many children with Autism have you worked with? none

8. Have you ever used or developed any specific/individual programs (time tables, social stories etc…) for children with Autism? no

9. Do you believe that children with Autism require additional individualised programming in child care?
yes, i do believe that a child with autism should have individual programs incorporated into the daily program of the room. Certain routines and interactions throughout the day should assist the child with autism in developing self help skills and focus on certain tasks. By adding individualized programs into the daily program enables the educator to focus more on the outcome being achieved than the activity being complete.

10. What role should a child care centre take in regards to children with Autism?
The centre should be playing an active role in supporting the child with autism with necessary resources and equipment as well as learning more about what autism is. Opportunity should also be taken with the family to build a strong foundation in guiding one another in the best interest of the child and making the local community aware of autism and the affects it has on the family's life.

11. Have you ever assisted families through the diagnostic process regarding their child with Autism? no

12. At what age do you believe that intervention is needed regarding a possible Autism diagnosis? 3 and a half to 4

13. Do you have any suggestions/comments about working with children with Autism?
I think if i was working with a child with autism I would want to prepare myself. i would also be asking to attend any workshops, in-services about what is expected from me as a carer and what my responsibilities are. I would also want to build my relationship with the family and get as much information I can to make sure I include all the necessary requirements.

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:49 pm

Hi Chocky

1. Do you know what Autism is? Yes
2. Do you know the many different variations of Autism “Autism Spectrum Disorders” I know a few of them
3. Do you feel that your qualifications (please list) have provided you with adequate training and understanding of Autism? Cert III in Children Services. No
4. Have you had any specific / additional training regarding Autism? No
5. Have you ever used Visual Aids with children with Autism? Yes
6. Have you ever uses Sensory Aids with children with Autism? Yes
7. Approx. how many children with Autism have you worked with? 4 but they were undiagnosed.
8. Have you ever used or developed any specific/individual programs (time tables, social stories etc…) for children with Autism? Yes
9. Do you believe that children with Autism require additional individualised programming in child care? Yes. This can be crucial to the child's best outcomes.
10. What role should a child care centre take in regards to children with Autism? The Centre should be supporting the Child and family as stakeholders. Staff training, correct resources and sufficient time for the child/parent and staff to work with the child's needs.
11. Have you ever assisted families through the diagnostic process regarding their child with Autism? Yes
12. At what age do you believe that intervention is needed regarding a possible Autism diagnosis? I personally believe the earlier the better.
13. Do you have any suggestions/comments about working with children with Autism? They can be amazing little people that bring insight, perspective and community understanding into their worlds. Read everything available to assist the child and his/her family. Don't forget to look after yourself as well can be VERY draining.

Chocky

Post by Chocky » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:58 am

Thank you very much L.A and LindyT for your replies...
It is much appreciated.

Can I ask everyone who reads this to consider posting a reply, as your responses are very important to the success of my Diploma assignment.
Regards
Chocky