CHCRF511A - Scenario: Mrs Brown -The Last Straw

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Susy

CHCRF511A - Scenario: Mrs Brown -The Last Straw

Post by Susy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:46 pm

CHCRF511A WORK IN PARTNERSHIP WITH FAMILIES TO PROVIDE APPROPRIATE CARE FOR CHILDREN
In class essessment 5
The last straw
Last edited by Lorina on Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Re: CHCRF511A - Scenario: Mrs Brown -The Last Straw

Post by LindyT » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:06 pm

Please put the question and your understanding of it so we can help you.
thank you
Last edited by Lorina on Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Susy

Post by Susy » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:16 pm

Thanks Lindy T,
CHCRF511A work in partnership with families to provide approprite care for children
The last straw
It is scenario about a parent with unrealistic expectations from her son , also she expecting more from the staff and bit bossy too .
Staff ask to talk to Mai , the Director to address this situation with Mrs Brown , because staff sick of being abused by Mrs Brown .
a. How do Mrs Brown and the staff see each other ?
b. How should the relationship between the staff and Mrs Brown be address ?
c. Why is it important for Mai to address the behaviour of Mrs Brown ?

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:55 pm

Just a few things for you to answer to get you started.

a. How do you think that Mrs Brown and the Staff perceive each other? How would they each be feeling??
Read the entire scenario think how a. you would feel if you were the parent and how you would feel as the staff member.

b. How do you think that this 'relationship' be addressed?
Look at your centres grievance policy this should help you.

c. Why is it important for the Director to handle the parents behaviour. What benefits come out of it.
Do you think that the Director handling the situation is best?
If so why?

Susy

Post by Susy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:28 pm

Thanks Lindy T .

elka

Re:CHCRF511A - Scenario: Mrs Brown -The Last Straw

Post by elka » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:46 pm

I had this question too and I actually find these scenarios quite interesting as they're usually describing scenarios we are likely to come across working in Early Childhood.

For part a, I literally put myself in Mrs. Brown's shoes and the same for the staff members working at the service. The scenario is quite descriptive on how the staff see Mrs Brown, they're conscious of looking after Max's shows all day because they know how Mrs Brown will react if they're not there at home time. Have a think about how Mrs Brown sees the staff based on her comments and reactions.

For part b, i would also look at the centre's grievance policy to see how the relationship should be addressed. I personally feel that it's important that both parties are supported during this process, as you don't want staff feeling bullied by a parent, and you don't want a parent to feel as though the staff are irresponsible. Does that make sense?!

For c, I agree with Lindy's comments. I think the staff seem to have an uncomfortable relationship with Mrs Brown as it is and the Director may be more of a neutral person to try to sort out any issues that are occuring.

Susy

Post by Susy » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:48 pm

Thank you very much elka

WarblerOn
Helper
Helper

Post by WarblerOn » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:00 pm

How is Mrs Brown feeling about the educators and the care of her child?

To understand how Mrs Brown is feeling we need to open minded about Max's mother's lifestyle to understand why she might be displaying such emotions in the scenario. Mrs Brown is probably feeling irritated, angered, annoyed, and frustrated with the educators; being open minded that she has a busy lifestyle, we can imagine what other frustrations may be why Mrs Brown also isn't happy with how things are. She might have too much on her plate. Mrs Brown may be so overloaded that she is unable to see the pressure and uncomfortable ways that the staff feel around her.

How might the educators be feeling about Mrs Brown?

The educators label her as an agitated, short tempered, demanding parent because they don’t see her lifestyle outside of the centre, they only observe her in the short moments they see her but if we observe this statement; “I’m fed up with having to search for things every single day. Doesn’t anyone around here take responsibility for anything! “ we can imagine the lifestyle she leads.
To say “doesn’t anyone take responsibility” although looks like a reckless comment pointing fingers to the educators, if you consider this statement, the word responsibility sticks out like its a hint, maybe Mrs Brown needs the educators to see she has too many responsibilities. To consider her needs, and build a relationship to support her and the child.

- Constantly on edge because of Mrs Brown’s way of communication
- Uncomfortable by the mother’s reactions/behaviour in the centre
- Pressured by the mother’s expectations
- Not valued by Mrs Brown as equal individuals with equal stress levels
- feel hassled/distraught
- Overwhelmed by the situation, uncertain how to respond to her actions.

Suggest how the director, Jo, should address the relationship between Mrs Brown and the staff?

Their needs to be a meeting in a comfortable environment/with no noise where the staff and Mrs Brown can be of equal and contribute their own say. Every person's situations and feelings should be considered by the director in the meeting and it should be acknowledged without labelling or pointing fingers, reminded that we are in the best interest of everybody's needs and wants to come to a mutual understanding and in finding a plausible solution to meet everyone's needs including considering Max's needs and situation.

I've gone over this so many times to be sure of what I'm writing, and I understand the scenario, but I feel lost on whether or not I'm writing enough detail. I have the habit of writing too much. :sweating: :shock: :|

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:01 am

I think you have written a well thought out answer and it describes the way Mrs Brown and the educators may be feeling towards each other. I don't think there is anything more that can be added and I think you've responded to the question in enough detail! :thumbup:

:geek:,
L.A