CHCPR509A - Observation Methods For Play, Social, Language & Thinking Styles

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Kristal

CHCPR509A - Observation Methods For Play, Social, Language & Thinking Styles

Post by Kristal » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:15 am

Good Morning

The scenario - You are a child care worker in an Out of School Hours Care (OSHC). You are working one-on-one with Thomas, six year old boy with an intellectual disability. Responses should demonstrate inclusive practices and how to interpret and respond to out of character behaviour. Provide examples of observations (including one out of character observation) that might be used to assess Thomas's: Play preferences, social interations, communication and language and thinking styles.

Could you please let me know if I am on the right track with the observations methods I have chosen.

Play preferences - Checklist/Time Sample
Social Interations - Sociogram
Communication and Language - Sociogram
Thinking Styles - ?????????

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kristal
Last edited by Lorina on Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: CHCPR509A - Observation Methods For Play, Social, Language & Thinking Styles

Post by Lorina » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:27 pm

Hi Kristal,

You're heading into the right direction in regards to the correct observation to use...So far so good!

You could also include - work samples, photo observations, audio & visual observations etc.

I am providing you with a document that outlines a description of different methods of observations. This should help you determine which one suits each category you mentioned in your question...

[attachment=0]observationsamples.doc[/attachment]
Hope This Helps!

Cheers :geek:,
L.A
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.