CHCIC512A - Planning For A Child With Hearing Loss

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

CHCIC512A - Planning For A Child With Hearing Loss

Post by fchaudari76 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:22 pm

Had this assignment where I pretty much had to write a plan for including a child with additional needs into a centre (in my case she was hearing impaired) ...

It is a hypothetical perspective ... which in my opinion makes it a little harder...had to do it this way since have not had a child with an additional need for any length of time, and had one little girl with a hearing problem but was very mild so she hardly needed any support at all

I am attaching my assignment ... just wanted feedback on it
It says the starting point should be from when parents expressed interest in your service and end point when the child has been enrolled for a sufficient length of time so that development & progress can be documented

Want to say thanks to a previous post I read on her which helped me with some of the questions i've used in this answer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Lorina on Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: CHCIC512A - Planning For A Child With Hearing Loss

Post by Lorina » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:23 pm

Hey Fefe,

You have definitely put thought into the process of what you would do if a child with additional needs was to enroll in a centre. The only thing I could think of which may or may not be relevant (up to you if you want to add it to your assignment) is to have a discussion with the other children about the child's hearing impairment and explain to them what they need to do (not talking too fast or too loudly etc) when they are socializing/communicating with this child. You could maybe get the child to show the group of children her hearing aid and you could explain to them what it's used for etc... This should make the children more comfortable in their approach of interacting with this child...

What do you think?

:geek:,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:35 pm

awesome... thanks L.A. I did think of having some kind of talk with them about it ... maybe stories of a child with hearing impairment etc
brain was on overdrive doing the assignment! didnt add it
Will def add it now
Thanks again ... always good to get a 2nd opinion on stuff

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:38 pm

No worries... Happy to help :D

:geek: ,
L.A

darmodina
Participator
Participator

Post by darmodina » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:25 pm

Hi Fefe,
I've been through this situation last year. Hearing and speech impairment. We been supported by the "Inclusion Services". My centre employ an extra staff to give a full attention to the child and she was paid by the Inclusion Services Support. So it was really good because we can give a quality care for the child and suport the family. I used "visual" routine, eg. picture and flashcards. The child has a better understanding visually than orally. It's really work and can seen improvement of the language development of the child, which means she/he can follow instructions with peers.
This is only i can share with you, hope it helps.
Good luck
Daisy

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:31 pm

Cool, I have put that in my strategies of how to include the child as well as getting support from relevent places.
Thanks for that info ... least I know what I wrote was right :)