CHCIC512A - Four Reactions To A Child With Additional Needs

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
sherry.mcc
Helper
Helper

CHCIC512A - Four Reactions To A Child With Additional Needs

Post by sherry.mcc » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:22 am

SSO61 - Attitudes
Hello,
I would like help with my answer to a couple of questions to see if I am on the right track.
2. Sims and Hutchins (1999) suggest that there are four common reactions to a child with an additional need.
Explain the meaning of each reaction, giving an example where appropriate.

a.Belief that the child's 'problem' can be fixed so that the child is more 'normal'
I have put-not understanding and having enough knowledge about the child's problem and not wanting to face the truth that their child is not 'normal'. What is normal as we are all different and have different ways of learning and doing things.
Example-Child with ADHD, short term memory, dislexia, and uncoordinated in the body. Sending him to a speech pathologist, getting angry that he cannot remember and can't read at 8years old and can't write as in mixing letters up when reading and writing.
This is my son who is now 31years old.

b. attitude of exclusion
does this one mean - carer believes child who has a global developmental delay should be at a special education preschool
Example - carer says child takes up too much time and it is not fair to the other children

c. Ignoring the difference
does this one mean - ignoring the differences in children with additional needs and children with no needs.
Example-child with ADHD and his needs being ignored???????

d. differences are recognised and valued
I have put-acknowledging that we all have the right to be different.
Example-gender, colour, culture, abilities, and needs, etc
I think I am on the right track and then I see a different way of looking at the questions

Cheers
Sherry
Last edited by Lorina on Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: CHCIC512A - Four Reactions To A Child With Additional Needs

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:39 pm

This question has been addressed before
You are kind of getting mixed up
Belief child can be fixed - some parents are not realistic about the childs needs and will think there is some cure out there that will result in the child being more normal (as in like children with no additional needs)
Reaction of exclusion - child will be excluded from things because of his problem rather than figuring out strategies how to include him in the activity

once again this question has been addressed b4 so look it up

sherry.mcc
Helper
Helper

Post by sherry.mcc » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:32 am

Hello,
Thank you for your information.
I did look it up and could not find anything. I put in CHCIC302A and what came up was not relevant to my question so then I tried SS061 Attitudes.
Must have missed it somewhere.
Sherry

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:33 am

hmmm I will try & find it as I am sure its somewhere as I responded to that post and clearly remember it.

sherry.mcc
Helper
Helper

Post by sherry.mcc » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:44 am

Thank you for your help. Very much appreciated.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:32 pm

no worries
hope it helps
:)