CHCIC510A Establishing....

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
ja9uar

CHCIC510A Establishing....

Post by ja9uar » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:26 am

hi,

i am currently working with this unit CHCIC510A and i have one question that i think i know and how to do it but struggling :think: bec when i first read the question i am thinking it is a group observation and now as i am reading it again i think one child at a time in different ages. Then the format that i am going to use is the time sample and the event sampling...
I did some group observation using the time sample... but then not sure if it is a group or individual... :? :?

honestly im confused i think my question is also kinda confusing :?

here is the question

1.Observe children of all ages participating in play and routine times. You are required to document all displays of challenging behaviours in appropriate observation formats, for a one week period.

2. Review your observations and tally:
o The times incidents occurred
o Ages of children involved
o Where they occurred

You may like to use a tally sheet/grid to assist you in documenting your findings.

i really appreciate your reply or feedback or opinion to this question thank you

thank you

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: CHCIC510A Establishing....

Post by fchaudari76 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:39 pm

the way i see it is it would be a group & indiv child obs but indiv in the fact when u r writing it up it would be child X did .... and child Y did .....

I may be wrong but that is how I enterpret this question

ja9uar

Post by ja9uar » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:37 pm

thankz fefe for your reply thats how i interpret it before and i use the time sample and it is like this:

Time Sample

Observer:

Description of Setting: Outdoor free play age 2 - 5 years old

Purpose: To know the different behaviour children are showing in different circumstances

Observational question:
What children’s challenging behaviour occurred often?
And at what time the challenging behaviour occur often?

Time Child 1 Child 2 Child 3 Child 4 Child 5
10:15 T P I P I
10:30 Q S P W I
10:45 Q W H P P
11:00 P S Q S W
11:15 P T I W P

CODE:
S – Snatching toys
H – Hitting
W – Whining when the child can’t get what the child want
T – Tantrum when parent drop the child off the centre
P – Playing
Q – Quiet the rest of the outdoor play
I – Interacting

then here is the other one

Observer: Date:

Description of Setting: Group time news time age 3 years old wombat group

Purpose: To observe and learn the children’s behaviour during group time

Observational question:
What is the common behaviour of children age 3 the wombat group show during group time?

Time Child 1 Child 2 Child 3 Child 4 Child 5
11:20 A A A T M
11:30 P C I P I
11:40 T I A A C
11:50 A S P I M

do you think it's like this
and is time sample is the best format to use bec im also thingking of using event sampling...

thankz for the support and time to reply

thankz :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:02 pm

Hi Ja9uar,

The example of the observation you have given in your post sounds fine to use for this question. I'd say go with the time sample because you can record the specific times the children displayed the challenging behavior. By using the time sample you can also assist and support the children through their difficult behavior throughout the day. For e.g. if you notice that at around lunch time some of the children are misbehaving you can put it down to being tired etc...

Hope this helps you out!

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

melly

Post by melly » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:19 pm

Hey guys, im doing the same assignment the name and number is the same any way but the assignment i have is totally different and im having trouble understanding what they want
the assignemtns says (im not looking for answers to them just more detail on what they want)

1. You are required to observe the behaviour of one child over a period of two weeks (minimum 5 observations) - seek advice from your workplace supervisor when selecting the children. Try to identify one child whose behaviour might be considered disruptive at times (but not extremely challenging). If permitted seek some basic information about the child’s background. (do i have to document these observations on paper or just watch the child and notes for my self?)
2. Describe any disruptive/concerning behaviour that you observe. You should not shadow the child or make it known to the child that you are recording behaviour – do not act in any way that may upset or humiliate the child.
3. Using the format attached try to identify the origin/reason/triggers for the behaviour
4. Write an analysis of your observations – what behaviours are being exhibited? When? Why? Consequences? (250-300 words)
NOTE: Ensure that you maintain confidentiality – do not use the child’s real name. Follow the centre’s protocol in relation to observations.

EXAMPLE
Description of behaviour
10.45: Outdoors
J. had been waiting for a turn on the bike. He had asked P. For a turn & P. refused. J. yelled ‘I hate you!’
J. tried to pull the bike from P. adult intervened & J. sent to sit on veranda.
Origin/reason/triggers (if observed/known)
J. frustrated & unable to continue waiting – did not attempt to negotiate or ask for help
Consequence
Isolated

i just need the questions described easier for me to understand a bit more its confusing and complicating for me
thanks Melissa

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:13 pm

Hi Melissa,

I've noticed that even though the assignment module and assignment name is exactly the same depending on where you're are doing your qualification, the question may differ slightly. Overall the outcomes should probably be the same though.

Anyways, back to your question. With your first question I think they probably want you to document the observations, just so you get an understanding of the child and why their behavior may be disruptive. You should try to take observations at different times during the day over the course of the week. For e.g. during transitions, outdoor play, meal times, group time etc. By doing this you may also begin to identify that at times this child may be more disruptive during different situations. This will also help you to identify when the child may need more support from their carers.

For the second question, from your observations describe the context of when the child was disruptive. You could mention the situation, what lead up to the disruption and other behaviors the child had displayed during the cause of disruption. You should be able to answer this question once you have taken the observations from your first question.

With all the information gathered from the previous questions you can input it into the form. The origin I think refers to the situation (for e.g. "Outdoor Play"), the reason refers to why the child was disruptive (for e.g. "Child is having difficulty with sharing") the trigger means what happened just before the child became disruptive (for e.g. " R went up to the child, snatched the ball from this child, causing the child to become disruptive").

For your final question you have to try and work out the types of behavior being displayed, when, why and what was done to manage the behavior. This should be done in accordance to the observations you took previously from the first question.

I'm also providing links to articles I wrote on dealing with children's behavior (available in the Resources section) which may be helpful for you in your analysis and provide you with a little more information if needed.

1) Behavior Management In Child Care

2) Anger Management - Children

3) Child Development Stages of Behavior

Hopefully this should help you out with your questions.

Cheers :geek:,
L.A