CHCFC506A How to Set up Environment for Language Development

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Kristal

CHCFC506A How to Set up Environment for Language Development

Post by Kristal » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:30 am

Hi

Could someone please give me some advice on the following?

How can a carer set up an envirnemnt to encourage children's language development. Describe the measures you have taken in your workplace?

Any inforomation ould be greatly appreciared.

Thanks
Daggy

MODULE: CHCFC506A Foster Children's language and communication Development

Lorina

Re: CHCFC506A How to Set up Environment for Language Development

Post by Lorina » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:51 am

Hi Daggy,

There are many ways to enhance children's language in the environment. Some ideas include:

- Display alphabet, number and shapes posters.

- Sings songs about different concepts such as directions using action words etc.

- Label objects in print around the room in english and other different language.

-Play word games ( I spy, who am I etc).

- Provide opportunities for pretend play/role playing (setting up a home corner as a kitchen, with dolls etc).

- Set up a library are/book corner. Provide a bookshelf with books, puppets, felt stories for the children to use while reading.

Hopefully this should get you started,

:geek:,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:02 pm

In my classroom I have always had a big book corner and encouraged songs and games which include phonetics/words etc
In a Montessori Classroom their is always a dedicated "language" area, this area includes boxes with objects & sandpaper letters the children match the object with correct letter
eg OBJECTS: frog, dog, snake and the f, d & s are in the box so they have to match them
sandpaper letter are used in Montessori as it helps children learn as they are tactile & develop muscle memory & we use a 3 period lesson to teach all new language/words etc
you can easily Google these things some of the Montessori language ideas are excellent

Kristal

Post by Kristal » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:38 am

Thank you very much. The information provided was a great help

Thanks
Daggy