CHCFC504A - Technology Used In Early Childcare Settings

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
aus22
Participator
Participator

CHCFC504A - Technology Used In Early Childcare Settings

Post by aus22 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:01 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: Development CHCFC502A, CHCFC503A, CHCFC504A & CHCFC505A
Your Assignment Type: Other
Currently Working in Childcare? No
Your knowledge: Basic Knowledge

Your Question?
I am working on an assignment and I am really stuck with technology.

I just want to know what is classed as technology in early child care setting?

A few things I'd like to clarify if they are in the category of technology are:

Battery operated toys, items like cameras, keyboards, mobile phones (not in working order) for imaginary play.

I need to think of two experiences/ activities involving technology.

I need two reference books on technology.

I need two websites on technology activities/experiences (one for toddlers and one for 3-5 years)

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
This assignment is based on all of the developmental units and most of this assessment I have completed. This is the section 'Exploring Technology' in which I need some ideas.

I have one activity/experience for technology: Making a space rocket and considering the second to be making a paper airplane, do you think these activities are okay?

I have one reference book..... Spotlight on Young Children and Technology by Amy Shillady & Leah Schoenberg Muccio and need one more (3-5 years old)

I have one website with technology activities and experiences

http://www.sciencekids.co.nz/sciencefac ... ology.html

I need one more more suited to toddlers.

I have searched many websites and have not found much information about technology in child care besides computers and I'd really like an idea of other ways to use technology in the child care environment.

Description and Message:
I have this assessment which is a slide show and it is overdue by about 2 weeks, I have been working very hard and have put a lot of time and effort into it. I am really struggling with finding the last few things I need for technology. I have spent hours and hours just looking at websites for something suitable. If anyone could help, I'd really appreciate the help :D

Sara.
Last edited by Lorina on Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: Technology in early childcare

Post by Lorina » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:38 am

Technology also includes Cd players, tape recorders, video recorders, computers, laptops, Ipads, etc.

Check out the following site which provides a list of sites for kids based on technology. It may help you out:

Tech Tips for Tots

With your experience does it have to be technology related, such as the item used? How does a spaceship and paper plane relate to technology?

While I was working in the toddlers room I taught some the children how to use the camera and for an experience the children each had a turn at taking photos of what they wanted. I printed their photos and put them on display titled "Through My Eyes" like a gallery. It was pretty awesome. That's just one idea how technology can be used in childcare.

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

aus22
Participator
Participator

Post by aus22 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:16 pm

Thanks for your reply L.A.

The idea of making a space rocket was that technology is used to build and design the space rocket and technology is the reason it is possible. I am not sure if the tutor will accept this, but I am trying to think of things others might not have thought of. I had a think last night and thought of making a string telephone with paper cups, a telephone is technology and then extending on this would be looking at how telephones (technology) has evolved over the years.

The topic is exploring technology

Two (2) simple experience ideas for each topic you could carry out with 3 – 5 yrs
and/or older toddlers.

I really hope I am on the right track with this, as it's already overdue and I feel like it has been a really big task.

I am really stuck on a reference book, I have found one, but not the 2nd I need.

If these experiences aren't accepted I was thinking of something to do with photography.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:45 pm

Since you have explained the whole reason about the spaceship experience, well now I get it. It's a pretty good idea although if you are doing this for children you will need to explain the technology behind it, to make it valid.

The string paper cup phone is a fantastic idea! So, I would definitely go with that!

If you are having trouble with a second reference book the just use "google books" to find one... Even if you need to write something from that particular book, in google books they have some chapters available in specific books so maybe you can find something from there and add it into your assignment.

Photography is a good one as well but it's probably been done to death by now... I do like the sound of your spaceship one, so maybe go with that instead.

Hopefully you finish this assignment and finally get it out of the way!

Good Luck,

L.A

aus22
Participator
Participator

Re: CHCFC504A - Technology Used In Early Childcare Settings

Post by aus22 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:31 pm

Thank you for your support :) I finally submitted my assessment and I used the space rocket and string paper cup telephone. I found a reference book and website, but can't remember which, I'd have to go back and look.

I'm really glad you understand my reason for choosing the space rocket, I was a bit worried if I was going down the wrong track there.

I had a lot of difficulty linking the skills and knowledge evident from EYLF to the topic areas.... I did my best and really hope I did it right.

Anxious to get my results now and to start on the next assessment.

Sara.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:23 am

I'm sure your teacher will appreciate you for thinking outside the box!

Good Luck with it all!

Onto the next...

L.A

aus22
Participator
Participator

Post by aus22 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:27 pm

Hi L.A.

Looks like I had nothing to worry about, the tutor said she was impressed with my assessment and that it was of high quality :)

I passed, so very happy :)

Now the next assessment, it seems like so much hard work these Diploma assessments. But it looks like I must know because I have been passing.

Thanks again,

Sara.