CHCFC503A FOSTER SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
happy6life

CHCFC503A FOSTER SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT

Post by happy6life » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:26 pm

Learning occurs in a social and cultural context. Read each statement and provide four examples of how the concept can be translated to practice in early childhood settings.

children develop and learn through their relationship with others:
learning does not occurs in isolation

b) Social skills are promoted by working through conflicts
- conflicts are regarded as opportunities for learning

c) the social setting is organized in that support learning:
children are encourage to work co cooperatively with others

How adults assist children to learn ?

Are they models for behaviors and positive learning dispositions?

Do adults encourage interactions and relationships between children?

Does the infant initiate any interaction?

How does the adult respond to the inant's attempts to interact?

Are there differences in the frequency and type of response used with boys as compared to girls?

what strategies were most effective?

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: CHCFC503A FOSTER SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT

Post by fchaudari76 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:14 am

Maybe give us your answers so we can see how much you have understood and what you understand when you read this question.
If you give me your answers later when I am back from work I will go through them and add on anything you may have missed or misunderstood.
It is just more beneficial to you if you try and work through the questions yourself first before we just give you the answers. To me this is a pretty straightforward question but for you it is not so you need to just think a bit about it.
Imagine being in a room full of children and then take those statements one by one. What things would you see that would support those statements
Just to start you off for a)
children learn as much from watching other children as they do from doing something themselves. they learn through working with others too...

happy6life

Post by happy6life » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:00 pm

a) Observe the children.
Note their particular wants.
Note their interests.
Keep in mind their needs. (to learn and develop).

Arrival –Interactions

1) Get down to child’s level and welcome them. Hold their hand and encourage them to say “goodbye” to parents. When the parent leaves guide them to an activity to engage in until all children arrive.
2) When the parent and child arrive, guide them both to an activity that has been set up. Once the child begins the activity, encourage child to say “goodbye” to their parent. Sit and interact with the child.
b)

Bottle Feeding – Interactions

1) Hold baby in your arms while feeding.
2) Sit quietly near baby while drinking their bottle.
3) Talk softly to baby while drinking their bottle.

Nappy Changing – Interactions

1) Sing nursery rhymes.
2) Name parts of the body.

Sleep – Interactions

1) Sit quietly besides baby/toddler until they fall asleep.
2) Sing softly and quietly.
3) Gently stoke their hair.
4) Pat them to sleep.

Toileting – Interactions

1) Provide plenty of praise “You did it, I am so proud of you”.
2) Provide lots of encouragement “Let’s wait a little longer to see if wee wee will come”.

Meals – Interactions

1) Sit at the table with children and eat with them.
2) Encourage them to try what’s provided to them.
3) Talk about the vegetables, healthy eating “Carrots they make your eyes see better”.

Departure – Interactions

1) Get down to child’s level and say “I really enjoyed playing with you today, thanks for the great day, I’ll see you soon”.
2) Waving goodbye.

While a literacy center, with colorful seating or floor cushions, children's books and writing materials, performs as the central reading and writing area of the classroom, you should always incorporate some form of reading and writing at the other learning centers, too. One of the learning centers might include an area with objects to manipulate for small motor practice; provide building supplies such as blocks, puzzles, Lego and stringing beads. These manipulative also help to teach math skills as preschoolers begin to count and pattern. A dramatic play learning center to practice socialization skills may contain a kitchen, home or restaurant arrangement and articles of dress-up clothing. An art center contains all types of drawing materials suitable for the age group, various types of paper, chalkboards or white boards, safety scissors and glue. Safety magnifying glasses, science books and photos, wildlife puzzles and baskets of natural materials such as rocks, shells and magnets might exist in a science learning center.

sonia.v

Post by sonia.v » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:10 pm

I am also studying this same assessment:

I need to do a observation on sociogram
Anecdotal Record

Running Record

3 planned expriences

ect....

kessie

Post by kessie » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:38 am

Hi Happy6life,

I would answer this a bit differently?

For example:
b)children develop and learn through their relationship with others:
learning does not occurs in isolation
They are asking for 4 examples of how children learn alongside other children;

You could put examples such as:
1)They are developing language skills as they play with others
2) they are learning to share and take turns

b) Social skills are promoted by working through conflicts
- conflicts are regarded as opportunities for learning

Here, they want 4 examples of how you teach children to work out their differences and learn conflict resolution and how they learn from this

1 answer can be

1)We role modelling problem solving and help children identify their emotions. (You have all the cars and Billy has none, look at his face, how do you think he feels, what can you do to help him...)

I would just google questions such as "helping children resolve conflicts" and you will find lots of differesnt ways and answers,

Hope this is helpful

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:09 am

Happy6life

what you have written is good but it doesnt accurately answer the question presented to you

your answers must show you have understood the question

a) children develop and learn through their relationship with others: learning does not occurs in isolation
It may be relationships with their peers, other older children, parents, family, friends etc. During their interactions with others children watch and pick up things. That is why it's so important to model good behaviour/language etc around children as they will eventually learn from things that happen in the environment around them.
Then find an example that portrays this.

b) Social skills are promoted by working through conflicts - conflicts are regarded as opportunities for learning
When a child first encounters conflict he may not know what to do, we as teachers give them the language and skills they need to cope with the conflict. It may start as toddlers with a simple "stop" then advance to "stop I don't like it" then them being able to tell others what the problem is and how they want to resolve it. We talk about feelings of self and of others which makes children understand that they can hurt others by actions. Even working through conflict is a social skill, children require this skill to cope with everyday life.
Then give your example.

c) the social setting is organized in that support learning: children are encouraged to work co cooperatively with others

Children must learn to work with others, that is why we instill in them that taking turns is important as is sharing. Children have to learn that in order to play or work with others they cannot have everything their way, they have to learn to compromise with others.
Then give your examples.

for the questions below i am giving u v. simple answers , you can elaborate on them

How adults assist children to learn ? - by showing and modelling the correct way to do things and providing them with the skills to succeed in learning

Are they models for behaviors and positive learning dispositions? yes of course, children do as they see

Do adults encourage interactions and relationships between children? yes we do, again we give them the necessary skills to be able to work and play and form relationships with other children

Does the infant initiate any interaction? Yes , they look at others, make noises etc

How does the adult respond to the inant's attempts to interact? interact back, talk, sing, if its holding pointing to something you talk about it , name objects around them etc

Are there differences in the frequency and type of response used with boys as compared to girls? not necessarily. well not in my opinion, you talk to and respond to both sexes the same

what strategies were most effective?
not sure what this is in contect to

anyway hope ive helped

maria

Post by maria » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:36 am

i need some help if possible ,because i am away about this topic ;Core Concepts 5: human relationships ,and the effect of relationships on relations, are the building block of healtly human development .This statement i write under how effect his/her relationships
a) Achyuta (3mths) is a fussy baby.He catnaps several times a day around 20 minutes and wakes fretful.On a good night he sleeps for around 1-2 hours .His mother is not able to breastfeed and she has had to try several different formulas to find one that suits Achyuta ,As with his sleeping ,Achyuta is difficult to feed .He rarely finish a bottle .Mother is exhausted and feels guilty that she is not able to breastfeed .She feels failure as mother as she can't seem to get her baby into routine .Mther and baby are becoming more and more anxious .
for me it is very confuse because i don't understand very well this question .
since now i said thanks too much for some help
maria

kessie

Post by kessie » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:32 pm

Maria,
You will need to start a new topic thread for this question - no one is likely to see it here on the end of someone elses so you won't get help.