CHCECEC024 - Scenario: Using Sticks To Measure Garden

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Elmizlelmo

CHCECEC024 - Scenario: Using Sticks To Measure Garden

Post by Elmizlelmo » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:17 pm

Hi I'm just wondering if anyone completed unit chcece023 and 024 book? There a scenario- using sticks to measure in the garden part a questions and part b questions. I just want to get some informations on the questions. Thanks in advance:-)

Lorina

Re: CHCECEC024 - Scenario: Using Sticks To Measure Garden

Post by Lorina » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:36 pm

If you can add details of the scenario I can try to help...

:geek:,
Lorina

Elmizlelmo

Post by Elmizlelmo » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:30 pm

Hi Lorina thank you for replying back :-) i already completed the units:-)

Teresa

Jwana

Post by Jwana » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:16 am

Hi Elmizlelmo can you help me with that scenario coz am stuck on it and its the same scenario

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:16 pm

Elmizlelmo wrote:Hi Lorina thank you for replying back :-) i already completed the units:-)

Teresa
Awesome! :thumbup:

Lorina

libb
Participator
Participator

Post by libb » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:38 am

Hi

I need help on scenario about jo working in the kitchen with orderly
Plz can u help

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:25 pm

libb wrote:Hi

I need help on scenario about jo working in the kitchen with orderly
Plz can u help
You need to give me more information...

Lorina

blonde_1977

Post by blonde_1977 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:07 pm

would love some help with this Scenario-
Part A
Today at group time I showed the children three punnets of vegetable seedlings which we were going to plant in our garden. There were cherry tomatoes, snow peas and beetroot plants. I read the planting instructions to the children and we discovered that the snow peas were to be planted 5-10 cm apart, the beetroot 15cm apart and the tomatoes 70cm apart.

I drew a 5cm, a 15cm and a 70cm line on the white board so that the children would have an understanding of the distance apart each plant needed to be. I asked the children what we could use to measure the distance between the plants when we were out in the garden and Matilda suggested using sticks, which was a great idea. I asked the children why some plants were planted closer together than others.

Louis said that the beetroot needed more spaces because they grew beneath the ground and they would bump into each other if they were planted too close together. We then talked about how high each of the plants could grow and how some would be wider and taller than others.
The children then went searching for sticks to use when we planted the vegetables. Charlotte found three different length sticks and came to check the lengths of her sticks with the lines I had drawn on the board. She was very excited when she discovered that her sticks were all similar lengths to the lines. It was now time to plant our vegetables and armed with their sticks the children dug up the soil, measured, planted and finally watered the plants.

The plants should be ready to start harvesting in 8-10 weeks time so I will display a calendar so that we can count down the weeks and we look forward to harvesting lots of cherry tomatoes, beetroot and snow peas.

Q1 In what ways does the scenario demonstrate intentional teaching?
Q2 In what ways does the scenario demonstrate intentional teaching?
Q3 How did the Educators provoke and maintain children’s interest in measurement?
Q4 How might this investigation into measurement support children’s learning in all the Early Years Learning Framework’s Learning Outcomes?
Learning Outcome 1:
Learning Outcome 2:
Learning Outcome 3:
Learning Outcome 4:
Learning Outcome 5:
Q5 List two ways the Educator supported the children to develop a range of skills and processes such as problem solving, inquiry, experimentation, hypothesising, researching and investigation.
Q6 How has the Educator promoted a sense of social responsibility and respect for the environment?
Q7 As an Educator, suggest one opportunities you could provide for children to see the purpose of measurement in their world.

Part B
Following on from the children’s experience with measuring, the Educator decided to give children the opportunity to explore measurement with some non –standard units of measurement by using pebbles, seed pods, shells and dried beans. Below is the reflection for this experience.

Q8 List three ways in which the Educators have assisted children to worked towards Outcome 4: Children are confident and involved learners.
Q9 How does this experience co-construct learning with children?

If I could be some help or feedback would be great....

grapey11

Post by grapey11 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:30 pm

Can you please help me?

Part A
Today at group time I showed the children three punnets of vegetable seedlings which we were going to plant in our garden. There were cherry tomatoes, snow peas and beetroot plants. I read the planting instructions to the children and we discovered that the snow peas were to be planted 5-10 cm apart, the beetroot 15cm apart and the tomatoes 70cm apart.

I drew a 5cm, a 15cm and a 70cm line on the white board so that the children would have an understanding of the distance apart each plant needed to be. I asked the children what we could use to measure the distance between the plants when we were out in the garden and Matilda suggested using sticks, which was a great idea. I asked the children why some plants were planted closer together than others.

Louis said that the beetroot needed more spaces because they grew beneath the ground and they would bump into each other if they were planted too close together. We then talked about how high each of the plants could grow and how some would be wider and taller than others.
The children then went searching for sticks to use when we planted the vegetables. Charlotte found three different length sticks and came to check the lengths of her sticks with the lines I had drawn on the board. She was very excited when she discovered that her sticks were all similar lengths to the lines. It was now time to plant our vegetables and armed with their sticks the children dug up the soil, measured, planted and finally watered the plants.

The plants should be ready to start harvesting in 8-10 weeks time so I will display a calendar so that we can count down the weeks and we look forward to harvesting lots of cherry tomatoes, beetroot and snow peas.

Q1 DONE
Q2 What information collected by the educators would contribute to assessment of learning?
Q3 DONE
Q4 DONE
Learning Outcome 1: DONE
Learning Outcome 2:DONE
Learning Outcome 3:DONE
Learning Outcome 4:DONE
Learning Outcome 5:DONE
Q5 List two ways the Educator supported the children to develop a range of skills and processes such as problem solving, inquiry, experimentation, hypothesising, researching and investigation?
Q6 How has the Educator promoted a sense of social responsibility and respect for the environment?
Q7 As an Educator, suggest one opportunities you could provide for children to see the purpose of measurement in their world.

Part B
Following on from the children’s experience with measuring, the Educator decided to give children the opportunity to explore measurement with some non –standard units of measurement by using pebbles, seed pods, shells and dried beans. Below is the reflection for this experience.

Q8 List three ways in which the Educators have assisted children to worked towards Outcome 4: Children are confident and involved learners.
Q9 How does this experience co-construct learning with children?

If I could be some help or feedback would be great....

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:49 pm

For Q2 - you could talk about what the children said, what the children did etc. These can be used as part of the assessment of learning.

For Q5 - e.g. "I asked the children what we could use to measure the distance between the plants", "I asked the children why some plants were planted closer together than others".

For Q6 - she got the children to plant etc.

This may also help:

How Educators Promote EYLF Outcomes

Lorina