CHCECE021 - Attitudes Of Educators: Labelling and Biased Responses

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Samaria

CHCECE021 - Attitudes Of Educators: Labelling and Biased Responses

Post by Samaria » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:57 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: CHCECE021 Implement Strategies for the Inclusion of all Children
Your Assignment Type: Case Scenario
Currently Working in Childcare? Yes
Your knowledge: Beginner

Your Question?
SCENARIO A
Jennifer: Attitude of exclusion
Jennifer believes that Lexie, (3 years 6 months) who has a global developmental delay should be attending a special education preschool. Lexie is functioning at a cognitive age of around 2 years. She walks with an awkward gait and is still toilet training. She has a short attention span and likes to go into the bathroom and play with the taps. Jennifer does not believe that Lexie should be enrolled at the preschool because ‘she takes up too much time and it’s not fair to the other children.’
QUESTION 1:Suggest the impact that Jennifer’s attitude may have on Lexie and the other children in the program.

SCENARIO B
Liz
Educator Liz thinks that ADHD is just a convenient label for parents who can’t be bothered to discipline their children. She tells her colleagues that ADHD children just need a bit of firm management to ‘fix the problem’
QUESTION: Explain how Liz’s belief will affect her ability to form a positive, professional relationship with the parent of a child diagnosed with ADHD?

SCENARIO C
Tom: Attitude of Bias
As part of his professional development, educator Tom has just participated in an enrolment interview with his Director. Parent’s Jill and her partner Susan are new to the area and wish to enrol their son Arnie (3 years 7 months). After Jill and Susan have left the building Tom comments to his Director: “I feel so sorry for that little boy. Children shouldn’t have to be subjected to such unnatural relationships!”
QUESTION: Explain how Tom’s attitude might impact on his ability to form a professional relationship with Jill and Susan?

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
SCENARIO A
Jennifer's attitude towards Lexie is very negative, by saying that "‘she takes up too much time and it’s not fair to the other children.’ is not fair for Lexie. Jennifer should be a supportive carer and provide Lexie with the care that she deserves.
( I'm kind of stuck with this that's all I got at the moment =/ am I on the right track?)

SCENARIO B
By Liz already having a firm reason about ADHD in her mind will really affect the way a relationship can be formed with a parent who's child is diagnosed with ADHD. Liz needs to remove what she has assumed and work with the parents and any behavioural plans to allow the child to feel supported. ( that's all I have at the moment =/)

SCENARIO C
( I'm really stuck with this one)

Description and Message:
Hi forum users out there :)

I have Just signed up to AUSSIE CHILDCARE NETWORK as I really need help for my diploma, I need some advice and help!

I have nearly completed this unit, but am really stuck on these scenarios ( scenarios are not my forte =/ )

If you could help me I would really appreciate it, I have answered some but I do not know if I'm on the right track

THANK YOU!
Last edited by Lorina on Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: CHCECE021 - Attitudes Of Educators: Labelling and Biased Responses

Post by Lorina » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:34 am

Welcome to Aussie Childcare Network! :wave:

I'm going to provide you with some additional information in regards to each of your scenarios. From this information you should be able to gather enough understanding to answer the questions.

A. [attachment=0]Inclusion of Children w Additional Needs_Dec12.pdf[/attachment]
B. Labelling Behaviour

C. Building Bridges Note* This information is from Canada so the beginning on curriculum etc. doesn't apply, however it does have some useful information on same sex relationships which may help throughout the document.

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Samaria

Re: CHCECE021 - Attitudes Of Educators: Labelling and Biased Responses

Post by Samaria » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:33 am

THANK YOU SO MUCH LA :D

You are a life saver! The readings help so much, I now understand what the questions were actually asking!

Thank you again

Kind regards, SAMARIA :)