CHCECE007 Encourage children to respect similarities and differences between each other

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
AlliG

CHCECE007 Encourage children to respect similarities and differences between each other

Post by AlliG » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:29 pm

Hi I am trying to complete RPL but am struggling with this question. So far I have answered that Educators should role model to children by always speaking to each other in a supportive, warm and respectful manner. That when talking to children about families that children realise there are lots of different types of families such as a mummy and a daddy, two mummies, grandparents etc. Use photos to show the children that there are different countries, languages and beliefs. Have dolls that are multicultural, and dolls that use a wheelchair. do you think I am on the right path I don't want to offend

Lorina

Re: CHCECE007 Encourage children to respect similarities and differences between each other

Post by Lorina » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:46 am

Yes, you're on the right path... You could also include:

- add posters within the play areas of different families, people wearing different clothes from different cultures, etc.
- have group discussions with children on what makes them the same (hair colour, age, eye colour etc. ) and different (what they eat, their family structure, languages they talk etc.). You can record this discussion in a chart to display for families etc.
- have different puzzles with people within the community, children with disabilities etc.
- play games with children to help them understand what's it like for a child that is blind (cover their eyes with a blindfold) or can't hear (wear headphones or something similar) and get them to do tasks to see what it's like etc.

Hope this gives you some more ideas,

:geek:,
Lorina

AlliG

Re: CHCECE007 Encourage children to respect similarities and differences between each other

Post by AlliG » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:15 pm

Thanks so much I also thought that as tomorrow is Harmony Day that children could bring in photos of their extended families and a little info about their families heritage to display in the classroom.

Ciko

Post by Ciko » Mon May 01, 2017 11:29 pm

Hi im stuck plz can some one help

Thank you!!!!❤️

How have you encouraged children to respect similarities and different between each other ?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri May 05, 2017 3:16 am

What are the types of discussions you can have with children that help children to understand similarities and differences between each other? Such as culture, their homes, food they eat, clothing etc.

:geek:,
Lorina