CHCECE004 - Project 1

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
kez.g

CHCECE004 - Project 1

Post by kez.g » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:35 pm

Hi,

I am stuck on the following:

Answer, in detail (approx. 1000 words), these two questions:
1. Are takeaway and processed (convenience) foods nutritious for children? List some of the foods that would come under the headings of processed or takeaway type foods. Outline the health problems associated with popular takeaway foods.
2. What foods can be used to replace these types of food in a child’s diet – and in particular in a child care situation?

Here is what I have written so far:

1. Australians spend around one third of their weekly household food budget on foods prepared outside the home. These include restaurant meals, fast food and takeaway. Takeaway and processed foods are not generally nutritious for children as they often contain high amounts of salt, saturated fats, sugars and additives which do not meet a child’s nutritional requirements. These foods are also commonly low in fiber, vitamins and minerals.

Some foods that would come under the heading of processed or takeaway type foods are:
• Burgers
• Fries
• Pizza
• Fried chicken
• Nuggets
• Deep fried seafood
• Soft drinks
• Ice-cream

A well-balanced and healthy diet is essential for proper growth and development. This is especially important for toddlers and young children who are developing and growing at a very fast rate. Fresh fruits and vegetables supply vital nutrients and energy that is required for the developing bodies of children. These necessary nutrients and energies cannot be gained from convenience foods. The over consumption of processed and takeaway food is recognized as one of the major contributing factors to high rates of Obesity, which is considered to be a global epidemic by the World Health Organization. Obesity passively promotes an inactive lifestyle and the lack of regular exercise further increases obesity which significantly increases the chances of the onset of type 2 diabetes. Furthermore, the consumption of junk foods and soft drinks lead to higher blood sugar levels in children which, in turn, amplifies the chances of acquiring type 2 diabetes. In addition, type 2 diabetes increases the chances of heart diseases by up to 4 times and contributes significantly to damage to the kidneys, as well as increasing chances of dementia.

Saturated fats lead to high levels of cholesterol in the blood. Cholesterol is notorious for being the cause of various heart problems, and can cause major cardiac disorders. In addition, takeaway and convenience foods often contain high amounts of salts and an excess of sodium or potassium is prime cause for an increase in blood pressure which, in turn, is a leading risk factor for a stroke. Additionally, the lack of calcium present in takeaway and convenience foods damages the teeth, nails and bones, reducing bone density and increasing the chances of skeletal damage and tooth decay.

Finally, children who lack a healthy, balanced diet can have many health complications such as a higher risk of asthma, hypertension, high cholesterol and in the early stages of their life it may also stunt their brain development and motor skill development. Children who continue to lack complete nutrition from frequently eating takeaway foods are potentially at risk of developing more serious health complications in the future such as:

• Damaged arteries
• High blood pressure
• Increased fatigue
• Weakened immune system

2. When planning/preparing meals for children, particularly in a child care situation, it is vital to understand the basic nutrition needs of children of all ages as well as having a sound understanding of how to read and interpret food labels. When shopping, it is vital that you compare foods and aim to choose:
• products with the least amount of added sugar
• products that have less than 3g per 100g of saturated fat
• products labelled ‘reduced salt’ or ‘no added salt’
• dairy products and dairy substitutes with at least 100mg of calcium per 100g
• products with the highest fiber content. Preferable, choose products with more than 4g of fiber per serve. However, it should be noted that fiber is not in every product and therefore may not be listed on the food label.

Some simple substitutes that could be made to replace processed and unhealthy foods are:

Eat fruit/make homemade fruit juice rather than buying it
Serve brown rice instead of white rice
Make sandwiches/toast out of whole wheat bread rather than white bread as it contains more fiber.
Replace spaghetti pasta with zucchini

This os only around 600 words so I obviously need more however I am unsure what else I need to add. Particularly to the second question. I am also unusre if I am even on the right track with these questions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lorina

Re: CHCECE004 - Project 1

Post by Lorina » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:02 pm

Yes, you're on the right track with your response... For the first question, I would name a few popular processed foods such as you mentioned nuggets, cordial, cake etc, and write down details of why those particular foods are unhealthy. You could just use the list you have in your response above already...

For the second question, I would look at alternatives for children having processed foods listed on your list for the first question. So, for example, nuggets what's an alternative, fries what could be an alternative, burger what could be an alternative etc.

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina

kez.g

Post by kez.g » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:39 am

Thank you so much for your guidance. It's really nice to know I am at least on the right track!

I have added more alternatives to the second question and taken all of your advice on board! Thank you so much again!!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:26 pm

You're welcome! :thumbup:

:geek:,
Lorina

Danniella.Beydoun

Re - Food Preparation (CHCECE004, Topic 3)

Post by Danniella.Beydoun » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:16 am

Hi
im having trouble understanding this question? they have attached a food menu

a) You will prepare a healthy menu item chosen from your completed modified week two (2) cycle menu. This can be a main meal e.g. homemade pizza, dessert e.g. fresh fruit salad and yoghurt or a healthy morning or afternoon tea snack e.g. fresh fruit faces.

b) Take a series of step by step photos (5-10 photos) of yourself showing your meal preparation, focusing on health and hygiene. You must not use photos taken from the internet

thanks